• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Top Load GE WCSE4160B1WW high speed only, no low speed

markgsx

Premium Member
Model Number
WCSE4160B1WW
Brand
GE
Have a washer machine that seems to only have the high speed. Trying to figure out how best to troubleshoot it and determine what the cause might be. Certainly, if it needs a motor, that's like $400 so probably not worth it, but if it's something like a switch or control board those repairs might not be as costly and worthwhile. Been looking for the service manual to see how best to diagnose the issue, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Can anyone provide any help on how best to test for the speeds and diagnose what could be causing it? Or perhaps a copy of the service manual you could share?

Thanks
Mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mark,

Agitate normally starts out in high speed and later switches to low speed. Spin starts in low speed and then switches to high speed. The problem is the motor switch on the motor has bad contacts for the low speed winding or the low speed winding is open.

What happens is, the motor always starts in high speed even when low speed is selected. As soon as the motor gets up to speed a centrifugal mechanism in the motor activates the motor switch to switch over to the low speed winding. If it doesn't make contact, the motor starts slowing down because it no longer has power until the centrifugal mechanism releases and it switches back to high speed, then it starts again and just keeps repeating this on/off sequence.

So you will need a new motor. But yes, its very expensive and with the age of yours I don't recommend it. I'd go washer shopping.

Here is the motor/clutch assembly for your model:
GE WH49X10035 Motor and Clutch Kit, 2 Speed

Jake

markgsx

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. What is the best way to test/validate the speed issue? Right now I am just going off information from my wife. :) Therefore, before I make any decisions I would like to validate the issue is real. Are there some steps I should use? Or perhaps a diagnostic mode / service mode that would indicate there is a problem? Or is this just as simple as jimming the door switch , starting the washer machine in slow speed and then switching to high speed and looking for a speed change?

Thanks again Jake
Mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
All you do Mark is run a test load without clothes in it and listen if the speed changes.

You can also remove the front panel and watch it working.:)

I'm posting your belt below, click on the link to your belt, then there is a video there to show you how to remove the front panel.

Here's the belt for your model(Access/Install video included):
GE WH1X2026 Drive Belt

Jake

markgsx

Premium Member
Jake,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. I was finally able to get access to the machine and troubleshoot things further. I took the machine apart and found the service manual by the control board. When I tested using the low and high agitate speed options I couldn't notice a difference between the two, however, the spin test seemed a lot faster than a normal spin speed. As well, while I had the machine apart I tested the windings on the motor and I had continuity across the low and the high. Can't remember which is which, but one was like 4 ohms and the other was like 4.2 ohms. Given that I saw two different speeds and there is continuity across the windings, I think I can rule out the motor being bad. As well, I tried swamping out the control already and that seem to make no difference. As far as I can tell, the only issue now is that there doesn't seem to be a difference in the agitation speed.

Any ideas on what that might be?
Could it be the belt slipping when the motor spins backwards to perform the agitation movement?
Could it be the transmission? If it is, is it worth 200 for a transmission on a unit that's 14-15 years old?

Thanks Jake
Mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Could it be the transmission? If it is, is it worth 200 for a transmission on a unit that's 14-15 years old?
Yes, that's the only part left is the transmission then. No, IMO its not worth it, just go washer shopping. Avoid LG and Samsung.

Here's the transmission assembly for your model(Video Included):
GE WH38X10002 Transmission and Brake Assembly

Could it be the belt slipping when the motor spins backwards to perform the agitation movement?
Not likely or you would notice it with the front panel off.

Jake