• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED TPX24BIBEBB GE Side-by-side Top not cold

jbmoore

Premium Member
Model Number
TPX24BIBEBB
Brand
GE
Good morning all,

Thanks for taking the time to help me diagnosis the issue with my fridge. I'm really trying to avoid paying $1,000 for a new one!

I have a side-by-side GE fridge; the sticker on the back says it was manufactured in 1999. The issue started a week or two ago. The top of the freezer and fridge are both not very cold at all. Ice will not freeze in the top of the freezer. However, the bottom of both sides is very cold. The fan in the back by the compressor works fine and we dusted back there. Both the fridge and freezer are set to their coldest setting. There is also a beeping noise coming from my freezer. From reading online, my guess is the evaporator fan in the freezer has either gone bad, the control board has gone bad, or possibly a bad thermostat somewhere. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jordan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jordan,

Do you hear the fan in the freezer running when you open the freezer door?

This model does not have a control board, its pre-control board made.

Jake

jbmoore

Premium Member
Thank you for the reply. In addition to the beeping, there is another noise but I can't tell if it's the fan or the compressor or something else mechanical back there.. Should I take off the back panel in the freezer and see if the fan is spinning?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Should I take off the back panel in the freezer and see if the fan is spinning?
Yes, please do, and let us know.:)

Jake

jbmoore

Premium Member
Fan working

Yes, please do, and let us know.:)

Jake

Jake,

The fan in the top of the freezer (as shown in the picture) is working. At this point I'm not sure what else could be the problem. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Jordan

IMG_0573.JPG

jbmoore

Premium Member
The issue was the fan photographed above! After turning off the freezer and taking apart the back panel, the fan started to work again. I didn't realized it but I must've cleared out some debris that was impacting the fan or it had frozen up. Everything is now cold again. Thanks for the tip.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jordan, sounds good.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.