• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

TPX24PBBAWW GE Refrigerator Water leaking on floor

mountain1

Premium Member
Model Number
TPX24PBBAWW
Brand
GE
I have a GE refrigerator Model TPX24PBBAWW. My problem is that one of the water lines connected to the water valve itself is leaking. It appears that I must replace the water valve. But in my search to find the same water valve...well...the part does not look like the same part. And the repair videos do not use my refrigerator so are no help to me. Any suggestions from all of the knowledgeably folks out there.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#798 is the water inlet valve kit you will need, it won't look the same as the old one, as the old one is No longer Available.

Jake

mountain1

Premium Member
Hi Jake...As you said the part does not look like my old one and thanks for the assistance. Now there is more to the story. I removed the water inlet valve and attached to it was a separate part. This attached part, which included what looked like a "relay" had a water line going to it and that is where I found the leak. The leak was not coming from the water inlet valve. Anyway, I got lucky and was able to stop the leak. But I searched and searched for the part that was attached to the water inlet valve and could not find it anywhere because I do not know how long my repair will last. Any assistance or info on that part would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I need to see a photo or two of what your referring to, upload the photo/photos here.

Jake

mountain1

Premium Member
Hi Jake...thanks for your interest. Please find 4 photos that show the part that is attached to the water inlet valve where you can see what I call a relay of some kind and where the leak occurred from the attached water line. That is the part that I am trying to locate as the water inlet valve was not the source of the leak.

Attachments

• IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0665.JPG
    IMG_0665.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 36

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes I see it. That's just the solenoid connected to the water inlet valve, then new water inlet valve comes with it. See the single orange hole in the photo below? Above that is that same solenoid.

GE WR49X10043 Water Valve Kit

Jake

mountain1

Premium Member
Hi Jake...thanks for your continuing interest. Here are my thoughts. I am able to purchase the original water inlet valve which is not leaking. But it is not priced at $171 plus dollars but is much less. The problem is that I cannot find the part with the solenoid so that I can just purchase that part which is leaking. The part is not listed on any online sites that I know of and so I cannot get that part number to search for that part online. However it is good to know that a current replaceable part is available. But some questions: Can the available part be easily installed? What are the wire harnesses for as I already have the wires that are attached to the water inlet valve. Will I have to cut and splice? Etc. I am still hoping that I can find the part with the solenoid which is attached to the water inlet valve.

Thanks again and looking forward to you and others responses.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It's been about 15 years since I replaced this kit, it comes with complete instructions, and I don't remember cutting/splicing any wires when I did it 15 years ago.

Jake

mountain1

Premium Member
Hi Jake...thanks again for your assistance. I am still hoping to find the solenoid connected to the water inlet valve. Perhaps I might get lucky. But so far so good ...no leak yet.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What did you do to stop the leak, what part did you install?

Jake

mountain1

Premium Member
Hi Jake: I removed the back cover from the fridge. Upon inspection I noticed that the water leak was not coming from the water inlet valve but from the part that you identified as the solenoid that is attached to the water inlet valve by two screws. I then removed the entire unit. I then inspected where the water was leaking from and removed the water line attachment from where it was leaking. I discovered fragments of plastic tubing after I removed the tubing and cleaned it out...cut the tubing back to where it was not rigid....wrapped the treads with white plumbers tape....and then reinstalled the water tubing attachment to the treads...reinstalled the unit....crossed my fingers and so far no leak.

But I still would like to locate the solenoid part of the water inlet valve for future reference. Thanks for your interest.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it, Thanks!

Jake