FIXED Trane Condensor not working

westhurmond

Premium Member
Model Number
TWR024C100A2
Brand
The Trane XE1000 , serial number, N103pdlcf, that operates for the downstairs in my home has decided not to work sometime during the night. When I awoke the AC blower was working, but upon inspecting the outside unit it was only buzzing. No fan, no nothing.

I did turn it off and let it sit for about 3 hours. During that time I opened the unit and inspected the capacitor, connector, wires, etc and everything looks fine. Would I really know if something was wrong, maybe not, but I the capacitor was not bulging, no burnt wires or loose connections. There was a red flashing light on an electrical board, but that appears to be normal because the working unit next to it has the same thing (I checked).

I turned the system back on at the thermostat and dropped the temp and the condensor unit clicks when it tries to turn on, but nothing else happens. One time it clicked and buzzed, then it just clicked everytime you turn it off then on then off again.

I would call out a tech, but I am out of work and don't want to spend too much to solve this problem so I would like to try and solve it myself. I did replace the connector unit about 4 years ago on this system. I have a voltmeter and sort of know how to use it and I have a place to buy parts (Fox Appliance)

Your help is appreciated.

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
Usually the buzzing is the contactor "Chattering". This is caused by a problem with the low voltage to the coil (24 VAC is normal voltage) most likely because the step down transformer's coil is breakin down. I would replace the step down transformer. :)

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
24 VAC Transformer.jpg

westhurmond

Premium Member
You are right, it is the contactor (which I was incorrectly calling the connector in my original post). It hums quite distinctly and you can feel it vibrating.

Unfortunately I can't find a parts supplier that is open on Saturday.

Last edited:

westhurmond

Premium Member
turns out it might be the capacitor.

I had my dad help me check it out ( he has many years of experience in repair of such things ) and we have 24 v on the low voltage side and 240 on the high voltage at the contactor.

We pulled the capacitor and it has a bulge at the top at the seam on the back side that I was unable to see due to its mounting location. I hope its that because I guess the next problem would be the compressor itself?

I will get a new capacitor in the morning and report back.

Last edited:

westhurmond

Premium Member
Fixed it!

Got a new capacitor, put it in, fired it up...works!

Moral of the story...make sure you pull the capacitor out and examine it completely.

Icehouse - thanks for your help.

In researching my problem I came across the 5-2-1 Compressor saver. Do you think that thing really works, is necessary, or a good value? What do they cost and will it really get me more years out of my systems which are approximately 10 years old maybe a few more?