Trick for Removing tub springs

pjstock

Premium Member
I am trying to pull the tub/drum from a samsung BigWash to do a postmortem (there is a grinding sound going on so bad sounding that i am.not even thinking of repair. I'm mostly just curious. Like if.my tenants' child slipped a toy car in there or something)

Is there a trick for Removing the springs the drum hangs from?

Some.videos show a clever system where you can rotate the plastic grommet at the top hook and drop it down.
This setup does not have that.

I expect I need to find a forked tool of some.kind to push down on the lower U hook. But maybe there is a smarter way.

pjstock

Premium Member
Samsung B1113J implosion

got the springs off finally.
and, after a bit of a disassembly battle, got the drum and tub out for inspection.
Holy Smokes! the entire metal spider that supports and spins the steel drum had disintegrated. There were shards rattling around the drum.
Looks like she had a hard life.
I could get a replacement spider for about $150. and everything else seems to work fine. But reassembling this would be a nightmare. So I won't .

But it was fascinating to take it all apart and see how they fit it together.

Peter

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, that's very bad Peter.

I haven't had any experience on the Samsung washers, they are not very popular here in Western Arizona.

Glad you got it apart.

Yes, I agree, its not worth it, like I told another member here the other day, LG and Samsung are electronics companies, not mechanical companies. LOL Remember the exploding LG washer recall a couple years ago?

I always advice my customers to stay far away from Samsung and LG.

I own and recommend Whirlpool and Maytag appliances.:)

Jake