Trouble identifying old GE refrigerator between 1937-1942

heyfergy

Premium Member
Hi everyone! I was just given a really fantastic old GE fridge but I am having some trouble identifying it so I am hoping someone here can help. It was restored a few years back and no longer has any sort of serial or model number on it, which would have made things much easier. I have scoured the web trying to find this specific model, but can't seem to find it in old ads or photos. I believe it was made between 1937-1942 based on the features and designs of that era, but I have no idea really.

Attached are some photos of my fridge. I feel pretty lucky because the previous owner updated the wiring, added better insulation, and gave it a really fantastic paint job so I just need to clean it up a little and fix some damage from the bottom vent being kicked.

Anyway, if anyone happens to know which model and year it is I would really appreciate it! I am also trying to figure out if there should be a door for the freezer box or not. Thanks!

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
heyfergy said:
if anyone happens to know which model and year it is

I'm afraid I can't identify any appliance model my appearance. You can try looking at some of the pictures at the restoration web sites at this link.

LINK > Appliance411 : Links : Restoration

heyfergy said:
I am also trying to figure out if there should be a door for the freezer box or not.

I've never seen a freezerette without a door. Having an enclosed space is just about the only way to get it down to a decently cold temperature for consistant freezing. However, having it totally open should add in the cooling ability of the rest of the fridge though, just a less capable freezer.

If you're just using it for beer and not ice or frozen food, it might be ok like that if you can't locate the missing freezerette door parts.

JMO

Dan O.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I believe it was made between 1937-1942
Looks more like 1945-1947 but I could be wrong. That model didn't have a freezer door. That's the original design. The idea was a couple ice cube trays on top and a couple food items on bottom. Because they sit on the evaporator, they will freeze.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
After a few more searches I'm not sure if it had a door or not. Sorry for the confusion.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
image.png

I see a number of what looks like holes in the evaporator that I don't know what they'd be for if not a door.

heyfergy

Premium Member
Dan - that's exactly what I was thinking! I just can't find any photos to show which door I need to be looking for. It's really interesting how little information there is on these on these online - I figured there would be a ton.

I appreciate everyone's input so far! I'll keep digging and hopefully find a photo buried somewhere :)

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
heyfergy said:
It's really interesting how little information there is on these on these online - I figured there would be a ton.

Most of the online manuals don't cover appliances older than about the 1980's. There is diminishing returns in converting old documents into electronic forms for online use. There's little to no chance they're ever recoup the expense from the few older appliance still in use.

If you go to a big city library, you might find books or manual on older products from the 50's and before. Older product material sometimes become available on eBay.

Dan O.

Last edited:

heyfergy

Premium Member
That's an excellent idea - I think I will look into trying to dig into the library option. I appreciate all the help!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
heyfergy said:
I think I will look into trying to dig into the library option.

A book on the history of GE might show products over the years. You could also check with some of the appliance restoration companies listed at the following link.

LINK > Appliane Links : Restoration

Dan O.