• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Trying to charge GE Refrigerator TBX25ZKB with R-12

billbled

Premium Member
Model Number
TBX25ZKB
Brand
GE
Hi,
New kid to these forums. Just so you have some background, I'm a car/truck tech by trade. I'm licensed for R-12 and R134a. I've got access to the required equipment for same. I'm just not that familiar with the specifics of working on refrigerators. Therein lies the issue(s).

The model I'm working on: GE TBX25ZKB refrigerator

The problem I'm chasing: not cooling enough. Freezer won't get to 0F, only to 8-9F. Refrigerator stays around 38-40F. Compressor runs all the time. Condenser coils underneath are clean, and have been kept pretty clean over time. It looks like to my untrained eye that the evaporator coil is not getting frost over the entire coil - I'm guessing low freon? Compressor seems hot on the bottom half. Previous service guy says he thinks the compressor has been replaced and updated previously (over 12 yrs ago)

Photos attached: Model plate, evaporator coil, system taps I need adapters for.

I have (1) can of R-12, untapped. I have the manifold gauges, vacuum pump, reclamation equipment, etc. What I don't have is the needed adapter to get from the system taps to my gauges/equipment. I've attached pictures of everything.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to find the adapters I need to connect up to the low/high lines on this thing? I have tried using the search function for the site, but have come up empty - thus my posting.
Thanks very much in advance.
-Bill

Attachments

• model plate.jpg
    model plate.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Evap Coil.jpg
    Evap Coil.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 26
  • System tap 1.JPG
    System tap 1.JPG
    756.1 KB · Views: 27
  • System tap 2.JPG
    System tap 2.JPG
    938.2 KB · Views: 28

billbled

Premium Member
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.