• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Turn off freezer on Kenmore Refrigerator 253.70313214

Mickeydog

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
We bought a new fridge for the house. Moved our old Sears model 253.70313214 to the garage.
I have no desire to use the freezer portion of this unit, and would like to turn it off.
Can anyone tell me hoe to turn the freezer portion off.
Thanks

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I have no desire to use the freezer portion of this unit, and would like to turn it off.

You can't. ALL cooling for the whole appliance originates in the freezer. NO freezer = NO cooling... anywhere.

If you only want an 'all refrigerator' buy one rather than a fridge/freezer model.

Dan O.

Mickeydog

Premium Member
My garage is not heated. I was told the freezer will not work when it gets below 50 in the garage.
But that the fridge still will. Any truth to that. I'm in Michigan, it gets below freezing in garage in winter.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Most refrigerators will not work in below freezing temperatures. Some fridges will work down to about 40 deg. F. but depending on how they control the internal temperatures, either the fridge or freezer compartment may not keep proper temperature.

Some top-freezer Frigidaire models have a 'garage kit' to allow then to function better in cool room temperature (not necessarily below freezing) but I don't know of such a thing for any SxS or bottom-freezer models. You can also purchase specifically designed "garage" refrigerators.

You can not turn OFF the freezer in any refrigerator model. The freezer is usually where ALL the cooling takes place.

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.