• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Two KitchenAid ovens not heating to set temperature

kd78

Premium Member
Model Number
KEBS107SSS04
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello,

I have two wall ovens that are not connected to each other. One is under the cooktop and another in a wall adjacent. The model numbers are KEBS107SSS04 and KEBK101SSS04

When I set the temp for either oven to bake at 400 for example, the oven preheats and beeps saying it is to temp but in reality the temp never goes above about 250 degrees. (I am using the temp sensor that Jake has recommended on other threads). If I change the mode to high broil, I get to about 280 degrees. The top element is red hot looking. There is no visible bottom element.

This first happened to one of the ovens about 6 months ago so we stopped using it. But now it has happened to the other oven so I have to repair this before my wife and family go nuts.

I am wondering what the order of replacement parts should be? I was thinking to try this temperature sensor first as there are no error codes on the display.

I replaced the control board a few years back on one of the ovens (Thanks Jake!) but otherwise nothing else done to these two.

Any help or guidance would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

kd78

Premium Member
One more thing. The temperature sensor is measuring 1074 Ω and the upper heating element is 38 Ω on the outside loop and 32 Ω on the inner loop. I can't really take the oven out easily so haven't tried the bake element that isn't visible.

This makes me think the temp sensor may be ok? Are the ohms low for the upper heating element?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi kd78, For KEBS107SSS04 Your bake bottom element is called a HIDDEN BAKE ELEMENT, lets check that one first.:)

Some members have reported the terminal connections on that hidden bake element were arching/burnt and causing the intermittent heat problem, if you find that's the case, you will need to order the new hidden bake element and replace it.

Here's the service manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwhd6cq2cueds64/4317418 KAC-50 KitchenAid 27 & 30 inch Electric Built-In Single Oven.pdf?dl=0

Removal of the hidden bake element starts at page 4-18. Make sure you turn the breaker OFF to your oven before you access it!

Here's the hidden bake element for your model:
Bake Element WPW10207398

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It would be best to ohm test it first, remember to disconnect power to the oven before pulling it out from the wall and before ohm testing it.

It would be good to have a helper help you pull it of from the wall, this are very bulky and heavy.

Jake

kd78

Premium Member
Jake, if the broil element is working but the bake is not, does that usually mean the controller is fine? Hoping that I don't have to pull the oven out of the wall to find the bake element is fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, you need to ohm test that bake element first.

Hoping that I don't have to pull the oven out of the wall to find the bake element is fine.
Its better to do that than order a new bake element that you may not need, right?

Ordering parts without testing them first gets very expensive, very fast.

Jake