Two Problems With Amana ADB1500AWW

stacia

Premium Member
Model Number
ADB1500AWW
Brand
Amana
We have a no-frills Amana dishwasher that is about 8 years old, and we have two problems with it. Both started about 8 months ago when I had surgery and now that I'm recovered, I'm tired of using workarounds and want to get this repaired if possible because it doesn't clean dishes very well anymore. I'd like to do repairs rather than replacement of parts if that's at all possible.

1. The soap dispenser won't latch anymore. The part that snaps together seems to be worn -- it started acting up by needing to be snapped down really hard, then after a while we noticed it would pop open too early in the cycle at random times, now it won't latch at all. Can this be fixed or will an entire new dispenser be needed?

2. The dishwasher fills and empties a whole bunch of times when it first starts on both the Heavy and the Light Cycles, but not on the Normal Cycle. What happens is that it fills, the swishing sound starts for about 5-10 seconds, then it drains and I believe the food grinder goes for a couple of minutes. It sounds like the food grinder but of course I can't see it to be sure. It's loud, and after about 2 minutes it fills, swishes for 5-10 seconds, then drains again. It'll do this 6 or 7 times before it actually gets started to clean.

Our first theory was that this was the dishwasher detecting food in the grinder so we cleaned it out, but that didn't help, and then we discovered that this doesn't happen on Normal. This filling-and-draining thing only happens on Heavy or Light. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, there's no way to fix the detergent dispenser, you'd have to replace it.

Here's the detergent dispenser for your model you can order:
Whirlpool WP99003317 Dispenser Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com

I'm attaching the tech data sheet for your model, Run the FIELD SERVICE TEST on page 5, and post the results.

Your Turbidity Sensor may be bad and causing this 2nd issue.

Here's the Turbidity Sensor for your model:
Turbidity Sensor W10120019 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

stacia

Premium Member
I ran the test and it didn't find anything wrong, apparently. Once it was done it just stopped and all the lights went off.

P.S. Just in case anyone comes across this in a search, you have to hit Heavy, Normal or Light first before you start pressing the Heated Dry button six times, otherwise it won't work! Learned that the hard way, ha ha.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I ran the test and it didn't find anything wrong, apparently. Once it was done it just stopped and all the lights went off.
Ok, that's fine then.

It sounds like the food grinder but of course I can't see it to be sure. It's loud, and after about 2 minutes it fills, swishes for 5-10 seconds, then drains again. It'll do this 6 or 7 times before it actually gets started to clean.
So before this problem happened it wasn't loud like it is now?

But on the Normal Cycle it isn't loud and goes through the cycle fine?

Jake

stacia

Premium Member
It's not that it's louder, but that at the very beginning, right after I press Start, it fills, starts to wash, but stops washing after 90 seconds or so, drains, makes a noise that sounds like grinding (but I suppose could just be the motor? I'm honestly not sure), then it re-fills, washes for 15 seconds, stops, drains, grinds, fills again, etc. etc. On Heavy and Light it will do this up to 15 times but I've heard it do it as few as four times. Then finally the actual wash cycle starts and everything seems to work fine from then on.

It seems to add time to the cycle times too. Light was 1 hr 30 mins, Normal 1 hr 45 mins, and Heavy 2 hrs. Normal still runs 1 hr 45 minutes, but Light ran over 2 hours once (that's when I finally realized there was a problem) and timing it a couple times afterward shows it running roughly 1 hr 50 minutes. I timed Heavy at 2 hrs 10 mins. I think the extra time is that time where it's "stuck" on repeating the drain-grind-fill thing from the very beginning, but that's speculation of course.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

stacia

Premium Member
Thanks -- we'll get back there and look at the panel with the serial number in a few days, I hope. We'll go ahead and order the soap dispenser (when we can afford it, ack) and fix it first, then tackle the control board.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake