TX18VW-P13157 Amana ice maker, steady drip of water coming from the ice maker

jpdegen

Premium Member
Model Number
TX18VW
Brand
Amana
I recently moved into a new house with my fiance where an Amana refrigerator was already installed. It's the very basic model but from the day I moved in, the ice maker didn't work. First thing I did (obviously) was to make sure a water line was hooked up and that all tubes we're clear of ice and/or debree. That all checked out so I checked for continuity of the valve on the back. I got nothing. So I replaced that. Hooked everything back up and I wasn't reading any voltage from the ice maker itself. I replaced that and now I have voltage and the maker cycles through when I bypass it with a jumper wire. So both the valve and ice maker work but whenever I turn on the water, theres a nice steady drip of water coming from the ice maker into the bucket. Am I missing something here? I don't consider myself a genius when it comes to this type of stuff but I'm not an idiot (at least I don't think haha).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Jon

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
How about a model number so I know what style it is? Without a model number, we're dead in the water. Read it from the tag on the machine.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

jpdegen

Premium Member
Yeah, I had a feeling you were going to ask that, I was just already in bed and was too lazy to get back up at the moment haha

Fridge serial: 9911146666

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick needs the model number, not serial number.:)

Jake

jpdegen

Premium Member
I have picture of the tag on my fridge. I'm at the in-laws now so if I could somehow post the picture, it'd save me time

jpdegen

Premium Member
Yes and I have also releveled the ice maker. I also have it connected to a reverse osmosis system if that makes a difference...

jpdegen

Premium Member
So since I have both a new valve and new ice maker, should I just call someone to come and fine tune it?

rickgburton

Staff member
Where did you get the ice maker? Do you have a part number? Both the ice maker and water valve are new, correct?

jpdegen

Premium Member
My father upgraded to a new fridge and he gave me his old one to keep in my basement for a beer/soda fridge and the ice maker worked with no problems for him. I replaced the junk one I had with the one out of the fridge he gave me and I used a jumper wire to run it thru it's paces and everything checked out ok.

I'm not exactly sure if this is the number you need but here it is: 106626640

The date on it is '03 but I find it hard to believe it would quit working on the same day he gave it to me. But maybe the ice maker is too old for the fridge I put it in? I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking you kind people :) I've done a lot of construction and electrical in my past but haven't really dealt with fridges and plumbing. I'd really like to get this figured out to help further my knowledge. I hate calling in techs because I feel I'm smart enough to handle most problems but this really has no flustered.

rickgburton

Staff member
Those style ice makers all look the same but there are a few differences. There is some adjustment on the power module. How much of an overfill are you getting? Make sure the ice mold is empty and force a harvest cycle at the end of the harvest cycle is the fill cycle. The fill time is about 7 seconds. Is that what you get?

jpdegen

Premium Member
It's a pretty steady drip. It's not a constant stream but pretty damn close. Are there dipswitch settings anywhere? If so, could I get a description on the different settings?

jpdegen

Premium Member
By fill settings, you mean by using the jumper wire to trip the motor until I get a reading on my meter on the wires connected to the valve?

rickgburton

Staff member
It's a pretty steady drip. It's not a constant stream but pretty damn close.
The water valve you got is bad. Do you have high water pressure?

jpdegen

Premium Member
It's t'd off of a reverse osmosis water filtration unit. The water pressure is coming directly from a pressurised 3-gallon storage tank