• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

UMC5165AS Microwave "runs" when the door is open

user12345a

Model Number
UMC5165AS
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello. My 3 year old Whirlpool UMC5165AS microwave recently started having an issue where the fan, turn-table and light run when the door is open. From a bit of research it sounds like 1 or more of my door switches may be bad. I've read references that it's possible to order a complete set which is what I'd prefer to do so that I can disassemble and repair in the same day, hopefully. :) I could not however find a parts list or repair manual and was hoping someone on this forum might be more of a search-engine-master or already know of someplace that might carry the parts.

I'm open to suggestions as well.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Cheers!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Throw away model?

You may have to contact Whirlpool to be sure but it doesn't look like they sell repair parts for it, only the turntable and support. It looks to be truly a 'throw away' model.

1212155P-00001.jpg

Microwave door switches are often interchangeable. If you took the one(s) you need to a local microwave repair depot, they could probably find a suitable replacement for it. I don't know any other way you'll get replacement parts besides have someone service it for you.

JMO

Dan O.