Unbalanced wobble - Maytag Neptune TL FAV6800AWW

Wayneh

Model Number
FAV6800AWW
Brand
Maytag
Anybody still remember this model? A friend has one and I was able to diagnose and fix the clutch a few months back using the advice found in this forum. Thanks for that!

But now it has a new problem - it's constantly going off balance. It will go through a complete cycle fine with no load, but with a small or a large load, it fails and shows a code. (I haven't seen the code. My wife thought it was dC, indicating an off-balance load.)

Today I popped the cover and disconnected the TDS (tub displacement sensor), thinking that maybe the washer was fine and the sensor was misfiring. Nope. The tub tossed about wildly, bumping into the interior walls and eventually stopped and showed a uC code. I could help it go a while longer by manually bracing the top of the tub but it's impossible to prevent the wobbling of an unbalance. I reattached the TDS and this prevented the wild tossing. As soon as it got too wild, the motor would stop and the internal agitator discs would churn the load around until it tried again to spin. This repeated for a while but it could not seem to achieve a balance.

I took a look underneath at the clutch I had installed. It looked fine, no water underneath certainly. I could manually turn it pretty easily. In one direction the tub and the agitators would turn. In the other direction, only the tub turned.

Could the shock absorbers be worn out? I know those just transfer the energy to the unit frame, and so a badly balanced and violent wobble is not going to be held back by shock absorbers, but I'm at a loss for ideas. I can't see how the thing could have ever worked. But of course it did. What has failed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yuppers, sounds like the struts are the culprit.

Look here:

Out-of-Balance Sensor 12002194

Unfortunately the struts are not available anymore:
Base Strut Assy-As

Jake