• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

Under-cabinet microwave - noise & burning smell

Barbie

Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
1
Location
Colorado
I have a 10-year-old Whirlpool built-in (under cabinet) microwave, model MH7110XB. I have not had a single problem with this microwave until now. I put a beverage in to heat and started the oven. The oven started and made a loud humming noise and I quickly opened the door to turn the oven off. There was a slight burning smell I noticed. It didn't seem to be heating either. In calling a few local repair places I was told it was likely the magnetron and/or capacitor and not just a fan (which was what it sounded like to both me and my hubby). I was hoping to diagnose and troubleshoot this myself as the estimated repair was $150-$175. However, it is cheaper to buy a new microwave!

What's your opinion/advice? Is there any way for me to determine the cause of this noise myself? Or should I just bite the bullet and purchase another oven? Thanks for any insight you can share!
 

ApplianceJunk

Appliance Tech
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
395
Location
Milbank, South Dakota
I have a 10-year-old Whirlpool built-in (under cabinet) microwave, model MH7110XB. I have not had a single problem with this microwave until now. I put a beverage in to heat and started the oven. The oven started and made a loud humming noise and I quickly opened the door to turn the oven off. There was a slight burning smell I noticed. It didn't seem to be heating either. In calling a few local repair places I was told it was likely the magnetron and/or capacitor and not just a fan (which was what it sounded like to both me and my hubby). I was hoping to diagnose and troubleshoot this myself as the estimated repair was $150-$175. However, it is cheaper to buy a new microwave!

What's your opinion/advice? Is there any way for me to determine the cause of this noise myself? Or should I just bite the bullet and purchase another oven? Thanks for any insight you can share!
At best it could just be the high voltage diode that burnt up.
Anything other then that I would get a new one myself.
 
Top