• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Using portable air conditioner as a dehumidifier

faerow

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have portable Kenmore air conditioner that has an option to run in "dehumidifier" mode. The user manual does not indicate if:
1. the hose should be attached and vented outside; or
2. the unit will collect water internally without the hose connected to a drain or a bucket under the drain hole (and if it does, how is it emptied)

Does anyone know how this unit operates as a dehumidifier.

FYI, I am operating this in an occupied basement appartment which is cooled by the house cental air, but gets too cold when the thermostat on the main floor is set to a comfortable main floor temperature. I want to dehumidy the basement air so it feels warmer. I hope it will also reduce the dehumidfying load on the central air conditioner.

Thanks

faerow

Premium Member
Don't think so. Thats all that's on the label, and I can find an online manual for this model number. The serial number has a lot more digits, starting with this model number.

faerow

Premium Member
Thanks jeff1

No worries ... I re-read the online manual and it seems I missed the info I was looking for, which is clearly stated "Humidity is extracted from the air, collected in the water tank and discharged via the condensation water
outlet", and "In the dehumidify mode, you must not feed the room air outside with the extract air hose." I don't know how I missed these the first time I read this instruction manual.
Kenmore 35132 Use & Care Manual (Page 12 of 16)

FYI image of label attached.
IMG-20160620-00185.jpg

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Glad you found that section :)

Sears manufactures nothing, that is why the prefix numbers are suppose to be in the model# so we can tell which manufacture built the product for Sears.
Sears Manufacturing Codes | Appliance Aid
Odd to see they want to hid whom ever built this port a/c and make things more difficult :(

jeff.