• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Variability of temperature inside KitchenAid KRFC704FSS03 French Door Refrigerator

Ladd

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC704FSS03
Brand
KitchenAid
I've had a new KitchenAid KRFC704FSS03 French Door refrigerator for about a month now and am wondering what is a "normal" amount of variation of temperature between the three shelves inside. I have placed two small glass glasses of water on each shelf and measure with what I believe is a quality instant read thermometer (ThermaPen MK4). The refrigerator temperature is set at 35°.

These temperatures have been consistent for the last 10 days:
Left and right top shelf measures 42-43°
Left and right middle shelf measures 38-39°
Left and right bottom shelf measures 35-36°

While I can and will continue to work around these temperature variations by placing items on appropriate shelves, I wouldn't mind narrowing this spread of temperatures if there is some adjustment(s) I can make to the refrigerator or placement of items inside.

Any advice or tips on how to do this would be most appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you hear the fan running in the refrigerator section?

If not, then its possibly the fan motor in the refrigerator section is defective from the factory:

While its still under the 1 year warranty, its best to have KitchenAid come out to fix it for free at: 800-422-1230

Jake

Ladd

Premium Member
I hear a low buzzing sound when the refrigerator is running (and it appears to usually be running), but I'm not sure what to listen for to see if the fan you specified is spinning. Is there some way I can investigate if the fan is running by looking for it physically or by going into service diagnostic mode?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just contact KitchenAid come out to fix it for free at: 800-422-1230

Working on it yourself is a NO NO while its still under warranty.:)

Jake

Ladd

Premium Member
The KitchenAid repair person just left and said the difference in temperatures between shelves was normal.

He explained that for residential refrigerators, measurements are generally taken in the middle of the cabinet as that is the average temperature between the upper and lower shelves. Our refrigerator measures pretty close to what the door temp. is set to.

He went into service mode to check the cabinet fan it it was working just fine. He explained that it is a variable speed fan and usually runs at a lower speed and would most likely be inaudible when running at a normal speed.

Unless someone can offer anything else I can check or test, I guess I'll have to go with the repair person's story. I just won't put dairy up on the top shelf!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My refrigerator stays at about 36 to 37 degrees on the top shelf, I always keep a refrigerator thermometer on the top shelf. I use the RED-LIQUID style thermometer.

I keep my milk on the top shelf and its always cold and just right.

Jake