FIXED VDB200 Viking Dishwasher - No Power to Controls

jesimson

Premium Member
Model Number
VDB200
Brand
Viking
Here's the situation: I plug in the machine and I hear a beep. After ten seconds or so there's a whirring sound. It stops and then whirs again. No light on buttons, pushing start does nothing. So, I checked for voltage on the water inlet. I get only 3.2 volts when the whirring starts (should be 120v). I checked voltage on the whirring part of the machine (I don't know what the dang thing is!) and the voltage crawls all around, from 112v-120v, up and down, up and down. I'm guessing that the control board is bad because, I figure that I should atleast have power at the control panel and fault codes. I checked the door lock and the contact is good. Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Very few techs work on Viking products, we do have a Viking tech that comes here once in awhile.

You can PM him: VikTech and refer him to your thread here to see if he can assist you.

Jake

VikTech

Appliance Tech
I'm not sure of the whirring sound, but assuming if you didn't start any cycle and you hear something it's the drain pump.

try holding the start button for 5 seconds (with door open), should flash then beep to clear all inputted programs. With door still open, press pots/pans 5 times immediately followed by the start button, then close door. this should set the unit in to a self diagnostics program. The unit will run testing each component for about 7 minutes. After that let me know what, and how often anything is flashing indicating a fault.

If the above can not be done, verify the start switch has not fallen out of place...if looks good you probably need a new machine control board.

jesimson

Premium Member
This did the trick!!! I didn't realize that the door needs to be open in order to start the cycle. I found this washer sitting by a neighbor's trash cans, found that the start button was busted, repaired it and then was stumped by no power condition. I did as you instructed, no fault codes. i now have a working Viking dishwasher for the cost of a dab of super glue! Many thanks for your guidance.

Gotta add this too. My wife spotted the dishwasher and suggested we pick it up. I said, "Naw, who's gonna leave a perfectly good Viking dishwasher out on the curb?" Passed it up a few times and then relented. I've been married twenty eight years. Still learning that it's smart to listen to your wife!

LaurieE

Glad it worked out!
Hello, I am having the same symptoms as this member posted in 2014, but the Start button trick didn't work. I also flipped off the breaker on the dishwasher for about an hour, which another post suggested. I cleaned out both filters thoroughly and did find a gob of hair at the bottom of the drain. Cleaned that out and sucked out the remainder of the water. Tried the power reset trick again, but no luck. The first few times I heard the pump working, but I get zero lights on the panel. The last time I did it, I think I heard the sound of the pump, but it was fainter. The last load that worked seemed normal except when I opened the door the next afternoon, the dishes were still hot, like the heater had been running for almost 24 hours. No lights on the panel at that point and there haven't been since. Any ideas?