• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

VF306 Avanti Mini Freezer not turning on. clicking

rustedmetal

Premium Member
Model Number
VF306
Brand
-brand-
Hi,
looking for experts opinions and advices.

model: Avanti VF306
120v 1.6amps

On one day, I suddenly heard a rattling sound coming from the freezer. I unplugged it to stop any further potential damage. Since there are no fans on it, my first assumption was the compressor. Let me know if i'm right. I refused to believed since getting replaced by a tech would not be financially practical. I don't mind learning how to do it, but not sure where to start and the equipment I would need.

I looked at the relay and overload protection. Did the continuity test on them and everything checked out. Relay had a tiny rattle when shaken but looking on the inside, seems it was fine. Tested he continuity of the the compressor, also checked out. I decided to replace the relay anyway, no change. the overload protector seems to get extremely hot very quick and clicks. When it did that I checked the continuity where the disconnect is supposed to be and it said OL, so the protector is working fine? not positive.

lastly I decided to check amp draw. When it's first turned on, it's drawing over 3amps continuously until the overload protector decided it was too hot! the compressor does warm up a bit but does not spin. is it Seized? Does a seized compressor cause over draw of amperage? The thermostat wouldn't have anything to do with the power draw right?

Any thoughts? I hate to have to trash this box.
Thanks

rustedmetal

Premium Member
Thanks for confirming. I was afraid of that. I was expecting compressors to last longer than 5 years. I guess my expectation was too high for compressors made in china. it's a hit or miss.