VGIC365_6BSS Viking Stove - Likely Cause for Sudden Change in Appearance of All Burners?

krkeegan

Premium Member
Model Number
VGIC365
Brand
I have a 6 burner viking stove that is 10+ years old. Last night I noticed that all of the burners appear to be too high and are much more yellow than I would like. Prior to this, the burners were all calibrated correctly with stable blue flames.

Each burner has its own air intake mixing port, so I doubt they would all become mis-calibrated at once.

The flames also seem too high and lacking sufficient oxygen. Even turning down the value, the yellow flames don't go away until the flame is nearly out.

I have never seen this behavior before. But my guess is that the pressure regulator is broken or stuck open.

Is a broken regulator the proper diagnosis of this?

Are regulators repairable, maybe there is just debris in there?

Or should I just replace the whole regulator?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You are on Propane? Do you rent the propane tank from a propane company like FerrellGas or AmeriGas?

Its very rare to ever see the gas regulator go out on the stove, but it can happen. But I'd first check the gas regulator on your propane tank first before replacing your gas regulator on your stove.

Are regulators repairable, maybe there is just debris in there?
Not repairable. Likely no debris in it either, or you'd have a TOO LOW flame.:)

Jake

krkeegan

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply.

I am on Natural gas. The rest of the gas devices in the house look ok, so I don't think it is the house wide regulator.

I don't really have any other explanation for why this all happened.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then yes its likely the gas regulator in your stove. What's the model number of your stove?

Jake