• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

VHSO205SS Viking speed microwave oven blowing F10A internal fuse

Big Ern

Premium Member
Model Number
VHSO205SS
Brand
Viking
Hello,I have a Viking speed microwave oven model VHSO205SS that has blown internal fuse F10A a couple of times .I replaced the faulty transformer without checking out the other high side components and popped the fuse again. After further testing I found a faulty diode,couldn't find a factory one, installed an aftermarket one that seemed the same but it blew the fuse also.
Any ideas on where I could find the factory Viking part to try. AppliancePartsPros doesn't show any. The viking part # is FH-DZA104WRKZ. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Disconnect the wires on the primary side of the transformer and tape the ends. Start the microwave. Does the fuse still open?

Big Ern

Premium Member
Hello again, I disconnected the wires to the transformer as suggested and started the microwave and the fuse did not blow.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, here's how to test the HV components:
C-HV Testing.jpg

Big Ern

Premium Member
Hi Rick,did the tests on the HV components and found the replacement transformer filament wires open circuited. I tested the old one again and it had the same problem. It was an Ebay purchase and have had problems before with them before. I'll have to see if they will send me another one or do you have any recommendations on where to purchase along with a factory diode. Thanks again for your time!

rickgburton

Staff member
As you may or may not know, Viking has made it almost impossible to get any service information or parts from anyone except them. Sorry

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
FH-DZA104WRKZ is a Sharp microwave oven part. You may be able to get it or the transformer from a Sharp parts supplier.

You'd likely have to supply them with the part number of the transformer as well as they likely would not be able to trace it from a Viking model number.

JFYI

Dan O.