FIXED [Video] MAV7260BWW Maytag Atlantis Washer - Won't Spin or Agitate

Vindicated

Premium Member
Model Number
MAV7260BWW
Brand
Maytag
Hey everyone! A few days ago my Maytag Atlantic washing machine stopped working.

I had put a heavy load of clothes the night before, and it worked fine. The next morning my sister put a small load in and she said it was more quiet then normal. When she opened the lid she noticed it wasn't spinning or moving.

When I got home I tried it without any clothes. I let it fill up with water then waited till it started the agitation cycle. It didn't appear to be moving at all. I moved the timer to the spin cycle and closed the lid. Waited a min, opened the lid and didn't see any movement.

I can hear the machine's motor spinning. When I move to different settings, everything seems ok, so when I did some searching on Youtube I came across a video where I guy said he just had to replace the belt.

I opened the machine up, but I can't seem to find that belt. I made a youtube video real quick (no audio) so you guys and gals can see what I'm seeing.

Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You'd need to tilt the washer back some, The belt is all the way under the washer.:)

Jake

Vindicated

Premium Member
Thanks, that last tip really helped.

I checked out the belt, but it looks okay. I then tugged the belt back and forth, checking for kinks. While I didn't find any kinks, I noticed that there isn't much resistance. I don't know much about washers, but I assume since it's attached to a big tub it should be a little difficult to pull. I also noticed that the plastic pulley seems a bit loose. Thanks again!!! :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You'll need a new thrust bearing kit.

Here's the thrust bearing kit and video that shows the way to replace it, also the instructions that come with it will show you the exact order they go too.

12002213 Thrust Bearing Kit

Jake

Vindicated

Premium Member
Thanks. That kit seems pretty easy. Do you think I'll need to lay the washer machine on it's back or would it be easier to keep it tilted?

I was using blocks to prop it up, with my gf holding it just to be safe.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Since this is your first time installing this kit, it would be easier to remove the fill hoses and drain hose and lay it on its back to do this.

Jake

lindylou961

Maytag Atlantis model #: MAV6200AWW Won't Spin??

My Maytag Atlantis washer will agitate and pump out water but will not spin. I tried it with the tub empty and still no spinning. The tub will turn freely in either direction when moved by hand...can someone please help get me going in the right direction on what to check first? I'm guessing the pulley belt, but is there anything else we should look for while checking it?:confused:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It sounds like you may need the trust bearing kit as well, yours uses the same one I linked to above.

Here is a help link for this:
(click to enlarge)
thrust_kit_remove.jpg

Don't worry about the brake removal stuff or brake adjustment.

The new thrust bearing kit comes with very detailed instructions.

Yes, its best to order a new belt too:
WP22003483 Washer Drive Belt

Jake

burnt03

Premium Member
This seems like a great forum... with our older place, think I'm going to be spending a lot of time here :)

Having the same sort of issues with our Maytag Atlantis MAV7600AWW. It was stopping spinning intermittently (would come to remove a load and it'd still be soaking wet) so I replaced it with a spare Kenmore we had sitting in the garage. Fired the Maytag back up and now it seems to be spinning fine again.

Was hoping to see the videos posted in this thread but they're set as private. Took a couple, does it look like another case of thrust bearing being gone?

- center pulley, dust cap on

- center pulley, dust cap off

- electric motor, is this a normal amount of play?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you'll need to order a new thrust bearing kit from the link I posted to it above.

When I worked for Montgomery Wards, I must of replaced at least 1 of these kits every week on their washers which were made by Admiral(Division of Maytag).

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't go by wobble, I go by what I saw every week for 11 years doing this repair when I was a Montomery Ward Tech.:), when a Maytag or Admiral washer stops spinning INTERMITTENTLY or COMPLETELY but the pulley is still turning.:)

When I remove the original thrust bearing kit, then usually I find the ball bearings that are broken or just fall out on the floor when its removed.

Jake

burnt03

Premium Member
Had the repair kit and belt sitting on the old washer for the past couple weeks, thought I'd try putting it in today and ran into a bit of a problem.

I can only get the shaft out far enough to install the circlip, but not enough to add a thrust washer. Also, seems as though the new pulley has quite a bit of play on the shaft.

Finally, the pieces I pulled off the dryer do not match up with the new pieces (although the old pieces seem to be pictured in the instructions...)

Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You might want to try and remove it and re-install it again.

Here's the thrust bearing kit and video that shows the way to replace it, also the instructions that come with it will show you the exact order they go too.

12002213 Thrust Bearing Kit

Yes, you have to use that same washer even though you think its too thick.

I know it seems like you can't get that spacer in, its very hard to do I know, you have to use a flathead screwdriver to pull the transmission shaft down enough to get that spacer on, use alot of force, or get someone to assist you.

See the transmission shaft grove at the end of your transmission shaft in the picture below, just get a flathead screwdriver and pry it down, then put the C-clip on. I know its hard to do alone, if you can get someone to assist you while you pry the shaft down and then other person can put the C-clip in there.

Eric said this as well:

The new encapsulated bearing and spacer take the place of those original parts. Use a screwdriver as advised to pry the shaft down to get the clip on. Another trick is to file down just the open ends of the clip to get it started into the groove on the shaft and then use pliers to force it on.

http://repair2000.com/Library/thrust_bearing_update.pdf

Eric

Jake

burnt03

Premium Member
That did the trick, thanks Jake!

Tried it out, seems to spin again but have a couple other questions now:

1) Quick squeak when I shut off the spin cycle or open the hatch. Result of the new belt/pulley or did I miss grease somewhere?
2) Got as much water out as I could but should I leave a small cup of dessicant/kitty litter inside the tub when it's in storage?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

1) For the squeal issue, you will need the Brake and Rotor Lining and Brake Stator. When I worked at Montgomery Ward in the 90's I was changing about 2 or 3 of these a month.

The part number for the Brake and Rotor Lining is 35-6714
The part number for the Brake Stator is 35-6918

The brake tool to release the brake spring is No Longer Available.

A member back in Dec. 2008 was able to use longer screws in place of the shorter screws to release the brake spring pressure, thus avoiding the need to purchase the brake tool: FIXED Admiral washer LNC6760B71 snubber

2) For storing your washer, read page 5 of your owners manual here: http://www.maytag.com/digitalassets/MLPDF/Use and Care Guide - 6-2612990.pdf

Jake