• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Viking Oven VGRC365 Broiler not lighting

whammie

Premium Member
Model Number
VGRC365
Brand
Viking
As stated in the title I have a Viking free standing oven/range VGRC365 with the IR-broiler. Just recently the broiler stopped lighting, so I figured it was the usual culprit the ingniter. Well when I replaced it, I am still not able to get the broiler to light. I have verified that the igniter is getting power and is opening the gas valve as I can both hear it and smell it, but no ignition. I have also, tried to light it with a long lighter once the gas valve opens, but no luck either.

I had someone tell me they believe it is the lh oven/broiler gas valve that is potentially bad and not opening fully. I am struggling to believe this, but is it possible. Can the solution be that? Or do I need pull out the damn unit from its place and open the back just so I can take the broiler out? I am more inclined to believe that the gas line to the broiler might just be clogged?????

Any suggestions, thoughts greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I have no experience working on Viking products, but Rick talked about this with another member here:

Hope that helps!

Jake

whammie

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, but that doesn't help me. I also saw that before posting.

paulhl

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Don't know about Viking but the older Wolfs' I work on frequently have the orifice for the broiler clog up.

whammie

Premium Member
Don't know about Viking but the older Wolfs' I work on frequently have the orifice for the broiler clog up.
That is what I am thinking also. I am debating on getting the gas valve, even though I don't think it is the culprit to have on hand. Dissconnect the original gas valve on the downstream side and blow a little compressed air and see if I can "unclog it." Reconnect the valve and try the broiler, if it works great, if not I can install the new valve. I however really doubt its the valve as I can hear it open and gas flow, which makes me really think there is an obstruction as the unit is quite old. I will throw a meter on it before I do anything just in case. As I have only confirmed the igniter as being new. I just may have a partially opening valve.

I really just don't want to hav to pull the unit out. Open the pad just to get to the IR broiler spud to remove entirely :(

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.