• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Viking VGRC365-6BDSS - No Ignition Spark in 4 of 6 Burners and No Ignition in Right Oven Burner Tube

mtcviking

Premium Member
Model Number
VGRC365-6BDSS
Brand
We have an older Viking oven/range and in the past two years (since we moved into this house) I've become a tiny bit acquainted with some of the issues that Vikings have. I've already replaced both of the oven igniters, which solved a previous oven-not-getting-hot problem. Now I'm not getting ignition in the right side burner tube again. This comes on the heels of our range giving us issues as well. The left front and back burners spark and ignite, but the right 4 (two front and two back) won't spark.

Finally, I think something is going on with the broiler, it looks like the back is lighting but the front sputters in and out.

I suspect I need a new spark module to solve the range issue, but I'm stumped about the oven going again.

Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The new spark module should fix the oven issue as well.
PA020041 Tytronics 0+4 Spark Module
viking-tytronics-0-4-pa020041-ap5315188_01_m.jpg

mtcviking

Premium Member
Thanks, I'll order it today. Turns out that not only was the right oven burner not lighting, but the left one was lighting on one side first, then the other, then going out. So hopefully this fixes everything.

Thanks again!

mtcviking

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

I got it installed, and doublechecked all my connections and that the wires were going to the same places in the new module. All four burners now light, but the ignition sparks continuously even after a burner is lit. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jake

mtcviking

Premium Member
Turns out that on the replacement module it was a common issue that the burners were in reverse order than on my original module. Reversed the order and the burners all work again.

Still having the same issue with the oven though - one half of one burner lights for a minute or so, then gutters out. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jake

mtcviking

Premium Member
I have two burner tubes, and I get nothing from the left side tube, and on the right side tube earlier today (immediately after I changed out the spark module) I would get flame out of the right side of the right burner tube only. I just tried it again and I got flame out of the left side of the right tube for about a minute and a half, and then out of the right side of the right tube as well. Nothing out of the left side burner tube at any time.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
I'm at a disadvantage here. I don't have any service information on that particular model. Does the left side burner manifold have a separate igniter and oven safety valve?

mtcviking

Premium Member
It has a separate left and right igniters, but as far as I can tell only one safety valve that they both run into (I don't know why the picture is upside down).

20170622_140203.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, the oven safety valve is actually two valves in one, so check to see if each igniter is drawing 3.2 to 3.6 amps, the amount of current needed to open the valve. It sounds like the igniter on the right side is weak (3.1 - 3.2 amps) and not opening the valve all the way and the one on the left is below the 3.2 amps and not opening the valve at all. Assuming your oven uses the "Glow" type igniters.

mtcviking

Premium Member
Okay thanks, I ordered two replacements and hopefully that does the trick. Frustrating since I just replaced them a year ago (almost exactly), and decided to get the $100/each ones instead of the $20 dollar ones so that I wouldn't have to do it every year or so.

rickgburton

Staff member
Weak igniters is a common issue but I wouldn't order new ones until I checked those first. If you don't have an amp meter you can use your DMM if it has a 10 amp setting.
C-Oven Igniter Test DMM & Amprobe.jpg

Last edited:
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.