• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Viking VGS300-4BDWH oven struggles to heat up

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianpeck

Premium Member
Model Number
VGS300-4BDWH
Brand
Viking
Hi there, the place I rent has a Viking VGS300-4BDWH oven/stove in it.

The oven seems to take way too long to heat up, sometimes never even reaching the desired temp. This morning I set it to 400* (hoping to get to 350*), and 50min later it was only up to 325*. This model has a dial/knob adjustment for the temp and no actual temperature readout, but I have my own thermometer inside the oven that I use to verify temps. When cooking a sheet of bacon, I also noticed that half seemed to cook much more than the other half - this leads me to believe I probably have 1 out of 2 burners or igniters not working, uneven temps in the oven, and one burner/igniter working hard trying to heat the whole thing.

The only other weird symptom is once the oven has been on and hot, the ignition for the stovetop burners no longer works. Gas flows and they light fine with a lighter, but again once everything seems to be warm they no longer click to ignite the stovetop. Is there an ignition unit shared between the oven and stovetop that might be going/have gone bad that would cause all of these symptoms?

Any help diagnosing is appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know Brian, I've never had training or worked on Viking appliances.

@rickgburton may have worked on Viking appliances. You can ask him if he has, and refer him to your thread here.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Viking, along with a few others, has made it almost impossible to get any service information on their appliances. Most parts houses don't carry any Viking parts. The reason is Viking would like to keep parts and service on their appliances "in-house". Viking considers their line of appliances "high end" appliances. This way, by keeping everything in-house, they can charge high end prices on parts and labor.

There is probably two spark modules for the oven and surface burners and it sounds like one is failing or already failed. If you can post a copy of the tech sheet and wiring diagram that is located somewhere on the range, I can help you troubleshoot the problem.

brianpeck

Premium Member
Thanks for the advice and your help so far, Jake and Rick. After some research and Youtubing today, I found that one of the two igniters inside the oven isn't working as it should, and also found some very reasonably priced made-in-USA replacements that are supposed to be compatible. Ordered two to replace both in one go, will report back with my findings in a few days...

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds good. Keep us posted.
C-Igniter Amps.jpg

brianpeck

Premium Member
Well, great success. Replaced both of the igniters with these 5303935066

Used this Youtube video to assist in diagnosing my issue, and to help with accessing the igniters inside the oven:
. After replacing both, my oven now heats up super quick and seems to be cooking much more evenly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.