• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Viking worth fixing?

zappullae

Premium Member
Model Number
XXXX
Brand
While changing the face plate on my Viking range I inadvertently shorted something out near or on the oven control knob. The oven temp isn't right and the convection fan doesn't work any longer. The last time the service tech was here he told us not to use the self cleaning feature as the age of the range has made the insulation brittle and the high cleaning temp might damage it further. I am wondering if the range is worth fixing? Its a 15 year old 30" dual fuel free standing range, white and stainless.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

While changing the face plate on my Viking range I inadvertently shorted something out near or on the oven control knob
You where changing a panal with the power still on?....tsk tsk!

The last time the service tech was here he told us not to use the self cleaning feature as the age of the range has made the insulation brittle and the high cleaning temp might damage it further. I am wondering if the range is worth fixing?
If a reputable repair tech has said the wires and insulation are not 100% safe....*I'd* be replacing it!!

JMO!

jeff.

zappullae

Premium Member
Yea, I know. Too lazy to walk down stairs to the breaker. It was a dumb move and it cost me. My impression was the tech was talking trying to impress. Telling me it was an old unit at 12 years old. He was there to work on the oven door and didn't even look at the wiring. I figure it has to cost $400-$500 to fix and I don't think anyone who wants a pro stove will by one used.