Vintage Coldspot Freezer runs but doesn’t cool

lawsonjm

Premium Member
I recently acquired an awesome vintage coldspot freezer that was working. Now it quit cooling. The compressor runs and is warm but the freezer isn’t cooling at all. PN is 198.5621140 and the tag states it takes 26 oz of F-12 refrigerant. Any tips or ideas? Is there a new relay/capacitor or compressor that I can purchase and have a tech install and charge it? I sure would prefer to keep it versus taking it to the graveyard. Thanks for the help.
Mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mark,

Model number 198.5621140 does not pull up as good.

Take some photos of your freezer and post them here.

The compressor runs and is warm but the freezer isn’t cooling at all.
If the compressor is running and there is no frost on the evaporator coils there's a sealed system problem. The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions.

How much did you pay for this freezer? How long have you owned it?

Do you have any experience working with an acetylene turbo torch doing welding?

Jake

lawsonjm

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I’ve uploaded some pics of the freezer. It was free and given to me by a friend back in March. This thing is really old and a perfect man cave beer fridge. I put a temp controller on it to keep it about 36 degrees inside and have it a new paint job. I grew up using torches and welders but not sure what a turbo torch is. Thanks again and I look forward to your ideas.

Mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I’ve uploaded some pics of the freezer.
Where Mark? I don't see them in your post.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member