Vintage Hotpoint starter/relay not working

Xgijane

Premium Member
My starter/relay just clicks but won't turn over. It's all so brittle that I can't repair the old M1A162 (inside relay is identical to a 1057-R1) so have a SR-8141 Start/Run Relay Horsepower: 1/12 - 1/5 HP to replace it with (per antiqueappliances.com advice). Hotpoint label.jpg. The coatings to the wires are somewhat fragile so I don't want to have to do a lot trial and error. The cord that runs from the relay to the freezer has green, black and yellow wires. The cord that runs from the relay to the back of the compressor has green, black and yellow wires. The cord that runs to the fan is a brown extension-cord looking 2 wire cord, and of course the main electric core has a white and a black wire. CR 1057-1a-relay.jpg]CR 1057-1a-relay 2 .jpg Anyone have a wiring diagram that may help,or some idiot-proof instructions? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That relay you have is too small for that machine. Use the RO41 or the RCO410 if there's a start capacitor in the circuit.
https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Relay/RO41/940296
Start-Relay-RO41-00648181.jpg

Once those wires get brittle the less you need to move them, the better. I can make you a wire diagram. It may not look exactly like the manufactures wiring but it will work just fine. I'll do my best to make it Idiot-proof.
Hotwire to Solid State.jpg

Xgijane

Premium Member
Dammit-Dammit-Dammit! Sales people suck! Lol! I'll get the other part (much cheaper than the first one I bought). Thanks so much for the wiring diagram. I looked at several but wanted to make sure that I wasn't looking at one that would really mess things up. The local repair guy who does vintage refrigerators quoted me $200 to come out and replace that part. I'll let you know how it goes!

Xgijane

Premium Member
Just double checking since I was finally able to take a photo of my relay. fridge relay.jpg

Xgijane

Premium Member
Glad you liked it! I spend an insane amount of time on the internet doing research for other items/info so I run across some goodies once in awhile. I'll pass on anything else I find. I just want to double-check this in case it is a typo: My original relay is a CR.1057-R1A V.110 cyc. 50/60 HP 1/8 (3/24). I bought a SR-8141 (R081) Start/Run Relay with HP 1/12 (2/24) to 1/5 (4.8/24). The R041 relay suggested above is HP 1/4 (6/24) to 1/3 (8/24). Won't the different HP range be an issue with the R041? I honestly know very little about electrical wiring so trying to keep from blowing everything up! Thanks in advance.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The compressor is low temp, high back pressure and is 1/8 Hp so either one will work. I assumed it was a 1/4 Hp. (You can go with more Hp just not less).