Vintage Hotpoint Super-Matic Stovetop w/ Thermostatically Switched Element

thecoalman

Premium Member
Model Number: 607RUG 48

This is only the one element with this switch out of four, the control dial for this element is numbered for degrees instead of the regular high, low etc. It's actually two elements in parallel. There is sprung metal button in the middle of the element that would press up against the pot. There is apparently some kind of thermostatic switch inside. It's not switched by depressing the button in any way as far as I can tell.

What I have done to diagnose is jumper the terminals on the control dial for this button , the elements will get hot but go to high and stay there regardless of where the dial is set which is expected. I've tested the continuity between the leads and the sprung contacts inside the metal button and that is good. There is no continuity between the two spung metal contacts which tells me the thermostatic switch or whatever it is between them is faulty.

The plate on the stove only gives catalog number and serial number, it's late 60's or early 70's model.

Cat# 607RUG 48
Ser# MK 10369

There is no other numbers I can find. The control dial is different than the other controls obviously, it's made by company called King-Seeley.

# stamped in paint on side:
# stamped on top:
KS 63470

I can't find reference for either the stove or dial anywhere and neither can any of the appliance guys near me and one of them has been in business forever. I haven't looked for any numbers on the regular control dials but I'm guessing that is going to be my next step so I can wire it without the thermostatic switch.

Attached pictures are of the button, note I popped the button off the base to see if I could see anything wrong.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
That sensor was part # WB21X5058 and looks to have been discontinued in 2011. I don't know any place with stock still on hand.

On the ranges I've worked on with similar setups and discontinued parts, we'd replace the thermostatically controlled switch with a normal switch like the other 3 elements and also replace the knob to one with appropriate markings.

LINK > Replacement Infinite Heat Switch WB21X5243

The knob part # WB3X5429 also looks to be discontinued but I found a couple of used ones here:

LINK > WB3X5429 Burner Knob

JFYI

Dan O.

Last edited:

thecoalman

Premium Member
Thanks Dan, much appreciated. At least I know what I'm looking for. They have one listed on ebay for $100 , that's not happening. Unless I get lucky at one of the local appliance stores looks like I'll be putting in the normal control.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Would you be able to post a picture of the model/serial number tag? I am researching older serial numbers.

TIA

thecoalman

Premium Member
Sure thing, already have one. The spot in corner with black was my attempt to make it more readable with sharpie.

Attachments

thecoalman

Premium Member
Dan, I was wondering if you'd be able to give me parts number for the original control and transformer? Those work, might as well make some lemonade and put them on Ebay.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Thanks for the pic.

The "Supermatic control" switch is # WB21x5085, the transformer is # WB20x5037 and the knob for that switch is # WB3x5435.

Be aware that I don't know that the testing you did verifies the switch is in operational condition. It likely has to react to the sensor's input so just bypassing the sensor input and it sending power to the element may not necessarily mean the switch is good, just that its contacts to the element are not burnt out. I do not know exactly how GE's system is designed to function though.

PS. The sensor that you found listed is part # WB21x5054. The one used on your model is # WB21x5058. I don't see anywhere where they are listed as interchangeable. If they were I would have imagined GE would have at some point superseded one number to the other.

JFYI

Dan O.

Last edited: