Vintage Magic Chef Stove

ABolton

Premium Member
Model Number: 19-ACLN
Brand: Magic Chef

I recently installed a vintage Magic Chef stove...and I am completely lost.

stove.jpg

Please excuse my ignorance! There are 3 knobs on each side of the stove and one in the middle. The left side (over the door that opens to the side and houses odd removable trays) has a knob that says "broiler" while the right side has one that says "oven." The knob in the middle (affixed to a brassy plate) features tempature settings and says "broil" on one corner and "oven" on the other. My question is....can one use both sides of the oven at the same time? Do they have to be on the same temperature? Or is broil all at one temperature? I'm so confused! The top burners fired up immediately once we lit the top pilot light. However, after lighting a pilot within each side of the stove, we still cannot get anything to happen down there. Anything I'm missing?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Broil is constant on. Do you have the secondary flame at the pilot light? I'm not sure what style pilot assembly you have but it most likely uses a secondary flame. See if there is a thermocouple just in front of the pilot light. The thermocouple is attached to a flame switch or oven safety valve. When you turn the oven on, the pilot should kick down the pilot light onto the thermocouple. When the thermocouple gets hot it opens the safety valve. If you're not sure what style you have, take some pictures and post them here.

ABolton

Premium Member
Thank you for your help! I'll pass this info on to my "mechanic" (dad-ha) and see if he'll take a look! Neither of us know anything about antique stoves I'm afraid. I'll take some photos, too.

ABolton

Premium Member
Here are a few photos of the inside of the stove. The first is the left side, or broiler. Broil 1.JPGBroil 2.JPG

And here is one of the inside of the oven.oven.JPG and a few of the compartment under the oven, where we lit the pilot light on this side.
front, under oven.JPGunder oven (2).JPGunder oven.JPG

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

rickgburton

Staff member
Unfortunately I can't see anything in the pictures. They are way too small. What I need to see is the pilot light assembly. I can't can't see the pilot light. I need better pictures.
under oven.JPG

rickgburton

Staff member
That's one of the most basic pilot lights. There is no safety device on that range. The pilot tube screws into the tube on the bracket and you'll need to clean out the manifold holes. It appears that either the range was altered to bypass the pilot generator or it needed a new pilot light assembly and that was all that was available. Some of the older gas ranges didn't use a safety device. These were the original "suicide ranges", you turn the gas on and the pilot light would lite the gas. Even if the pilot light went out the gas would still turn on. A safety device was designed so that if the pilot light went out, no gas could come out in the oven. I'm not sure what style you have but I can tell that the pilot light bracket is not the original. A copper gas filled tube is connected to an "oven safety valve" and sits next to the pilot light. The gas from the oven thermostat valve is connected to the oven safety valve. If you have a red button on the thermostat that presses in, you have this style. You hold the button in while lighting the pilot light. The pilot light heats the copper tube next to it and that heats the gas inside the tube. It expands and holds the safety valve open. If the pilot light goes out the safety valve closes. I'll make you a diagram and then you can see what style you have.
PILOT.jpg

ABolton

Premium Member
Oh my....words like "suicide range" throw up a red flag or two! Ive turned off the gas to it until further notice... I shall put my dad to the task of fixing this old thing up! Thank you SO much for all of your help!

rickgburton

Staff member
Oh my....words like "suicide range" throw up a red flag or two!
It shouldn't, I don't think your range is that old. The reason for "suicide range" is the enclosed oven space. That and there weren't a lot of automobiles back then.

rickgburton

Staff member
Look for the model tag on the range and give me the model and serial number. It may be under the top or along the frame where the oven doors open.

rickgburton

Staff member
It looks like 1950's era range, probably mid to late 50's. American Stove Company didn't use the name Magic Chef until after 1951.

eganvay

Premium Member
Hello Rick, I'm trying to track down info on what I suspect is a late 70s magic chef gas range. I might be off by a bit.

The model number is US-18Y-10 serial. 1X751 991245

I don't think that there's any safety on the pilots, but this is my first gas range. not sure what to look for.

thanks for any help you can offer at tracking down a manual.

-j

rickgburton

Staff member
I doubt there's a manual in existence. 1970's gas ranges had standing pilot lights. What problem are you having?

eganvay

Premium Member
I need to shut off the gas supply to the building for a bit, and don't know how to relight the pilots.
there's two pilots for the stovetop burners, a pilot for the oven, and a pilot for the broiler. just turn on the gas and use a match?

Is this a relatively safe setup or should I be shopping for a new range? I like the idea of being able to cook when the power
goes out,

thanks.

-John