• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Walter leaking from plastic line in back of fridge

pittmike

Premium Member
Model Number
kenmore elite
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi,

I have a Kenmore Elite tri door about 6 years old we got brand new. I have been fighting a water leak for a while now. There is a white plastic water line running from the top to bottom on the left side (when looking from front). For no reason it developed a pin hole leak and would only leak when the door water dispenser was in use. There is no door ice as it is a seperate unit in the freezer.

I tried to repair this by simply snipping the line and using some special 5/16" fittings I have from work made by Legris. I describe these as "chinese handcuff" style fittings. This seems to work for a while but fails again either due to pressure? or perhaps the hose keeps breaking? I also tried to use a more traditional compression type fitting but the hose broke again just above the fitting. Can the hose not take the pressure of a tight fitting and needs to be one piece run?

Any help advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Yep, they're called "Jon Guess" fittings and I've never had one leak yet. Make sure you cut the line far behind and in front of the damaged area. 2" each side of the hole.

jeff1

Staff member
Hi all,

Walter leaking from plastic line in back of fridge

Keep Walter out of the refrigerator and things might be ok......I couldn't resist! ;)

I tried to repair this by simply snipping the line and using some special 5/16" fittings I have from work made by Legris. I describe these as "chinese handcuff" style fittings.

Don't cut the lines with a wire cutter or side cutter, use a knife only as the side cutter or such will squeez the tubing and can cause leaks.

jeff.

pittmike

Premium Member
ok thanks i will try it again with a knife. i was afraid the line was breaking down and crumbling or something but i did use side cutters. lol on "walter"

jeff1

Staff member
If the line is dried out too much, will have to cut it back to a clean spot like Rick mentioned or replace the line.

jeff.