• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Want to disable the thermostat and defrost timer

MattSteele

Premium Member
Model Number
mqf1656tew01
Brand
Maytag
This is probably a little different than usual for this forum.
I have an upright Maytag freezer, Model MQF1656TEW01 that I am using as a meat curing chamber. I have wired in a temperature controller that controls the compressor. This cycles the compressor on and off to a specified temperature range. The STC-1000 has its own temperature sensor installed in the freezer space. All temperatures are above freezing. Power to the inside light and circulating fan still exists when the compressor is not powered.

Here is the wiring diagram for the STC-1000 Temperature controller.
wiringstc1000.jpg

I spliced the incoming compressor power to position 7 (shared wire nut in diagram) and out from position 8 to the compressor itself. I took the compressor common (white) wire leading to the compressor and sliced it to the other shared wire nut as shown on the diagram.

The problem seems to be that the defrost timer periodically cuts all power to the freezer. Evidently the common is regulated by the defrost timer?

This is real simple. I do not need the thermostat but can live with it, I have the STC-1000 turning on and off the compressor. What I really do not need is the system shutting down every 3 days until I advance the defrost timer to restore power to the system.

Here are the wires leading to the Temperature setting switch inside the freezer:
20140122_214312.jpg

Here are the wires leading to the Defrost Timer
20140122_214800.jpg

Here is the wiring diagram I cannot figure out.
20140122_215911.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to disable the defrost timer or remove it from the circuitry so the freezer does not turn off periodically. I still need the fan, and interior light, both of which work when the compressor is waiting for the STC-1000 to allow power to the compressor. Of course when the defrost timer (?) disrupts the common circuit, nothing works.

I welcome all questions and I will provide more data as requested to solve this.
Thank you very much for your help.

MattSteele

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff, can you tell me what you see and why you think that would work? I can't afford to fry anything and I do not know this stuff. But l appreciate the education very much. I assume you mean splice them right at the Defrost timer as opposed to inside by the thermostat knob?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
can you tell me what you see and why you think that would work?

Your wire diagram.

I assume you mean splice them right at the Defrost timer as opposed to inside by the thermostat knob?

No real need to splice but could.....pull off the defrost timer and make a male to male wire that will push into the connector for the timer between 1 and 4. That keeps the power going to the control and compressor and with the timer out eliminates anything going to the defrost heaters.

jeff.

MattSteele

Premium Member
Ok thanks again. To be clear though, I am removing the 1 and 4 wires from the defrost timer and connect them? Then I make a bridge across 1 and 4 positions on the timer? I appreciate your help very much.

MattSteele

Premium Member
Sorry, I only ask because your first reply seemed to indicate that I only needed to cut and join wires 1 and 4. Your second answer seems to suggest a bridge across 1 and 4 slots of the defrost timer in addition to cutting and joining the incoming wires for 1 and 4.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, I only ask because your first reply seemed to indicate that I only needed to cut and join wires 1 and 4. Your second answer seems to suggest a bridge across 1 and 4 slots of the defrost timer in addition to cutting and joining the incoming wires for 1 and 4.

Both ARE the same thing...but cutting means you can't put is back....just making a connector leaves everything intact in case one day you wanted to put it back together and use the defrost system.

jeff.

MattSteele

Premium Member
Jeff I am past my allotment of patience and I realize that. This is what I am reading:
defrost timer.jpg

Is this correct? This is what I meant by bridging 1 and 4 based on your "male to male connector for the timer between 1 and 4". BTW I don't plan on undoing this any time soon. Thank you for this last clarification.