• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WARM FRIDGE - MAYTAG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator

superstarburza

Premium Member
Model Number
MBR2256KES
Brand
Maytag
Hello All,

I have been having trouble with my fridge for a bit. The freezer is working fine, however there was a lot of frost gathering and the fridge portion of the unit was warm. I did some research and found that the problem could be the defrost thermometer, so I took out the old one and replaced it. For about a week everything worked great, but the frost came back, although not as bad. It isn't all over the freezer anymore, but I can see it on the coils (there is a small slit where I can see a very small portion of them in the back) and the fridge is warm again. It almost seems like the defrost thermometer isn't working 100%. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this issue?

A few additional notes:
When I replaced the defrost thermometer, I found the part using the maytag website.
When I replaced the defrost thermometer, I did seal it with silicone for condensation.
I vacuumed the entire back where the fan and compressor(?) are behind the unit itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
A

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

If your defrost thermostat and defrost heater ohm test good, then the defrost control board is the culprit.

The defrost thermostat goes through the defrost control board circuit on the main control board.

The manufacturer has replaced part number 67006740 with part number WPW10503278.

Here's the main control board for your model, you can order it here:
WPW10503278 Electronic Control Board

Since you already replaced the defrost thermostat, then just ohm the defrost heater with a multimeter for continuity(unplug your refrigerator first), watch the video below:

Here's the defrost heater for your model you can order if needed:
WP67001794 Heater, Evaporator

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model:
WP67003426 Defrost Thermostat

Keep us posted.

Jake

superstarburza

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

Thank you so much for the response! I took out the heating unit and it tested good. So I guess I am down to replacing the board. I am about to dig into it now... I just have one question:

It seems there are two boards-

One main control board: Whirlpool WPW10503278 Electronic Control Board - AppliancePartsPros.com

one defrost control board: Defrost Control Board 12002495 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Do I replace both? Only one? Are there actually two? I just want to make sure to only replace what I need... Figures I getting to the very expensive parts! :)

Thank you again Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

I don't see two boards on this model unless you posted the wrong model number by accident, where did you find that smaller 12002495 board at?

You would need to order the larger board I posted above Whirlpool WPW10503278 Electronic Control Board - AppliancePartsPros.com

Look here: Whirlpool 12002495 Adaptive Defrost Board - AppliancePartsPros.com

Then put your model number in where it says Appliance Compatibility Tool and it shows that smaller 12002495 is NOT compatible for model number MBR2256KES.

Jake

superstarburza

Premium Member
Hello Jake,

Thank you for your help. I have ordered the part and am waiting on the motherboard! I really appreciate your help on all this! You have saved me a TON of money!

Thanks Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, keep us posted on how it goes.:)

Jake