• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Washer buying advice

BonPow

Premium Member
Model Number
GTW335ASNWN
Brand
GE
I need to buy a washer and am looking at the GE 4.2 size at Lowes. They are on sale for a little under 600.00 for a few more days. I have also looked at an old Speed Queen at a used appliance store for 400.00. It was made in either 2004 or 2009. Which would be the better investment? Thank you so much!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't know enough about the GE washer to give you an answer. However, I can say the Speed Queen is a darn good washer. :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Lots of the new GE washers are having way too many user interface/control board problems. If you do get the GE buy the extended warranty for at least 5 yrs.

Or buy The Whirlpool or Maytag Washer without the extended warranty, as you won't need it for them. Whirlpool and Maytag are very reliable Washers.

Rick is absolutely correct, Speed Queen is top notch!

Jake

Robert4

Premium Member
My son had that GE washer in an apartment a few years ago. It was extremely loud. Even though the description says otherwise, it is a High Efficiency washer.

Does the used Speed Queen come with any warranty or guarantees?

BonPow

Premium Member
Lots of the new GE washers are having way too many user interface/control board problems. If you do get the GE buy the extended warranty for at least 5 yrs.

Or buy The Whirlpool or Maytag Washer without the extended warranty, as you won't need it for them. Whirlpool and Maytag are very reliable Washers.

Rick is absolutely correct, Speed Queen is top notch!

Jake
The washer that I have now is a 5 year old Maytag Centennial. The agitater has broken off and it sounds like a plane powering up for taking off when it goes thru the spin cycle.
I have read that it didnt have good reviews so I thought it best not to have it repaired. I think I will go with the old Speed Queen! And thank you.

BonPow

Premium Member
My son had that GE washer in an apartment a few years ago. It was extremely loud. Even though the description says otherwise, it is a High Efficiency washer.

Does the used Speed Queen come with any warranty or guarantees?
It might have a 30 day guarantee, I will check on that. Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The washer that I have now is a 5 year old Maytag Centennial. The agitater has broken off and it sounds like a plane powering up for taking off when it goes thru the spin cycle.
I had a 15 year old Maytag washer and not a single problem the whole time. The only reason I don't have it now is the folks in Oregon that bought my house wanted it. LOL

Yes, Speed Queen will be a good choice.:)

Jake