• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Washer Drain problem

SmokeWintle

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW6200VW0
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool Cabrio washing machine. Recently it got stuck on the final drain function and the error code LD (long drain) appeared. I unplugged the unit and left it unplugged for a couple hours. When I plugged in back it, the unit proceeded to complete the drain and spin cycle. All was good for about a week. Now, it will not complete the final drain and spin function. After it sits unplugged for more than two hours, it will complete the process once plugged in. This does not seem typical of a block drain. It was suggested that maybe the drain pump gets hot and need to cool down. It does drain once in the wash cycle. After running the diagnostic, the next time doing the wash, when the unit would not drain, the error code SD (Suds detection) appeared.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

When it drains how fast is the water coming out of the drain hose? You can lift up the drain hose a little and watch how fast the water flows out, it flow out fast with a strong stream, if not then it sounds like a partial restriction in the drain pump and that would cause the drain pump to overheat and shut down.

So I'd first check for a clog in the drain pump.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump W10536347 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video to remove/replace it.

[video=youtube;ygQs8Ktz3BE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygQs8Ktz3BE&feature=player_embedded[/video]

SD is too much suds, are you using HE detergent?

Jake

SmokeWintle

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. I will remove the pump and check for blockage. After being unplugged for two hours (cooling down?), it drains fairly fast. Good stream.

Not sure what HE detergent is but we use combination of borax, washing soda and shredded fels naptha. Been making our on detergent mix for a couple years.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
HE=High Efficiency

At lower water levels, cleaning problems can occur if detergents create too many suds or if soils from the laundry can't be completely rinsed out of both the laundry and the washer. Thus, detergents for HE washers need to be lower sudsing than regular detergents to provide good cleaning and thorough rinsing.

r512x400_1412833449066.jpg

After being unplugged for two hours (cooling down?), it drains fairly fast. Good stream.
That sounds fine, do this then: when the drain pump shuts down feel to see if its extremely hot, there may be a problem in the drain pump motor itself.

Jake

SmokeWintle

Premium Member
I pulled the pump motor and the line was clogged significantly. I unclogged from the bottom - probably should remove the agitator and look from the top, eh - and it ran fine the next load. If a recurrence occurs, I will feel the motor to see if it is extremely hot. Thanks for the assistance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good.:)

Jake