Washer not spinning cloths dry and making noise when changing cycles

Particulargirl

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I can re-spin the cloths somewhat less soggy so they can go into my cloths dryer. But that doesn't help with jeans or towels. I've also noticed a loud clunk noise when it changes from the wash cycle to rinse/ spin cycle. I've searched and it seems like it's my clutch possibly. Would you agree or think it could be something else before I order parts?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like the clutch. When you remove the transmission and clutch make sure the brake cam driver is still attached to the spin tube. The "clunk" noise could indicate the "C" clip that holds the brake cam driver to the spin tube has cut the bottom of the spin tube off:

Brake Cam Driver.jpg

Clutch 285785 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Clutch-285785-01200107.jpg

[video=youtube;tVc6SZ2DD4U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tVc6SZ2DD4U[/video]

Particulargirl

Premium Member
Thanks so much. Would you suggest ordering the break kit too, just in case? Or order a new spin tube?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
I would take the transmission down and look at it first. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The drive cam may be worn out and the spin tube and brake OK. When it's spinning lift the lid. If the tub stops the brake is OK.

Particulargirl

Premium Member
When I lift the door the washer stops spinning. I've also read in other threads if you can stop the basket while spinning with your hand, then it could be something else. I tried to stop the spinning basket with my hand and I could not. Thanks for the help, I'll order the clutch and hopefully that will work

rickgburton

Staff member
OK wait, I may have misdiagnosed your machine. If you put the machine in a spin cycle with the tub empty does it seem to spin OK?

Particulargirl

Premium Member
Yes, it seems to spin fine. But when cloths are in it, and the spin cycle is done, the cloths are still very soggy, still have a bunch of water in them, but not dripping wet. I have to take half of the cloths out and re-run them through the spin cycle again. And if they are towels or jeans, they still have too much water in them and take even longer than normal to dry in the dryer

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, I think you might have a pump problem and not a clutch problem. Fill the tub with water then take the drain hose out of the drain pipe and hold it over the tub with the lid up and put the machine into a spin cycle. Use a small screwdriver to push down on the lid switch. Water should be coming out of the hose like gangbusters. You should be able to feel the force of the water. Now, the clunk could be the driver cam is worn from spinning the heavy load for long periods and you may still need to do some clutch repair. I just don't want you to replace the clutch and still have the same problem. If you're not sure about the amount of water pumping out, take a short video and post it here. I'll take a look.

Drain Pump 3363394 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Drain-Pump-3363394-00554733.jpg

Particulargirl

Premium Member
[video=youtube_share;i0-ADdiwb9c]http://youtu.be/i0-ADdiwb9c[/video]
This is my washing machine draining water. Does this ok? It doesn't seem to me that it's not draining any slower than normal.