Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco44

Premium Member
Model Number
LA5578XTN0
Brand
Whirlpool
I have read several posts about this problem but still can't figure this out. My washer will pump but not spin at all, I can hear a "hum" from the motor while it's in the spin cycle but tub doesn't turn. I can turn the tub by hand but it does seem to be a little difficult to do that. I replaced the coupler thinking that was the culprit but got it all back together and still just humming. Could this be the motor or gear case or clutch??? I'm stumped,

TIA

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
One way to find out, just take the motor off and put it on the ground, then run it in spin and see if the motor turns by itself. Take the pump off the front of the motor first.

Let us know.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, now turn the gearcase shaft both ways. Turning it one way should make the agitator move back and forth, turning it the other way should make the inner tub start to turn.

Usually what I find when the motor turns but it won't spin and the motor coupler is good, and you can turn the gearcase(transmission) shaft in the spin direction and it turns the tub, that its your basket drive and clutch that are worn out.

Here is the basket drive for your model:
Basket Drive W10820043 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here is your clutch assembly:
Clutch 285785 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

Disco44

Premium Member
Ok yes turning the shaft the tub and agitator both move, so you think its these two parts listed?
Is there a drain plug or something , I have some water in tub and need to get it out for this new repair? Is there a drain plug or something?

thank you

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, then those 2 parts should fix it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its a major job.

Here's a help video for replacing the clutch:

[video=youtube_share;tVc6SZ2DD4U]https://youtu.be/tVc6SZ2DD4U[/video]

Then to remove the basket drive:
Grasp plastic cam on basket drive and turn while pulling downwards

Jake

Attachments

Disco44

Premium Member
Jake,

Ok now Im confused, while picking up the new parts today a indy repairman overheard me and told me a trick to check the clutch. He told me to turn on washer and if the "silver" clutch turns and gets hot then its the clutch, well I did this test and zero is turning, the motor engages but nothing turns?? Any validity to this test?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Never heard that before.

Jake

Disco44

Premium Member
Update;

One of my sons socks lodged in pump, removed and back washing!

thanks for the help, well got a new coupler and clutch!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
ahh, yes that would do it, I thought I asked you if something might be jammed in the water pump, but that was another member I asked yesterday for a similar issue. Sorry about that.

Good job finding that sock in the water pump.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Jake

Johan

Premium Member
I have a similar situation, water pumps out but won't spin. When in the spin cycle I can push in the control knob and quickly pull it back out the unit will spin normally.
Lid switch OK
If it was the clutch it wouldn't spin at all, correct?

I'm thinking control unit.....Or?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There is usually a 2 minute delay between when all the water is gone till it starts to spin.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Does the timer just stop before the the spin? or continue to off without ever spinning?

Jake

Johan

Premium Member
Jake,
The timer will "cycle out" or go all the way through until the end on it's own. When I first noticed this the clothes would still be dripping wet at the end of the spin cycle. I fooled around with the thing until I noticed if I push the control button in and pull it back out (while in the spin cycle) the basket would take off and spin normally. Sometimes it takes two "push/pulls" to get it spinning but when it does catch you can hear the clutch engage.

Whirlpool TAWX700JQ1

Status
Not open for further replies.