FIXED Washer won't spin, just hums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, the way this works is after all the water is drained out the motor should stop for a second or two and then the motor should restart and thus spins, same as you are doing by pushing the knob in and out to stop the motor and restart the motor.

So if you don't notice your motor stopping after the water is out, then its possibly the timer contact welded together.

Here's the timer for your model:
Timer 3953146 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here's a thread that I answered awhile back when the customer said the same thing, but I went out to their house it never mis-behaved for me: Kenmore Washer 110.20702990 Spin Cycles

Jake

KM28

Premium Member
I have a similar problem but have tried the other stuff posted. From the start the washer would not spin and found the coupling was rounded out at the motor. I have replaced it and while there I decided to replace the clutch. The clutch kit also came with a new cam driver which i swapped out also. The pump was replaced 1 year ago and appears opperational. The motor and transmission spin freely alone by themselves. When reassembling the transmission to basket assembly I made sure the cam driver was opposite of the clutch spring not to interfere. All clips, screws, & stuff back together and appear as normal. I noticed before plugging it in that the the agitator is seized up, wont turn in either direction. I have since pulled the transmission & motor out twice and still not finding the problem. I put it all together and turned it on spin cycle. It tried for half a second to move but now only hear a hum at the control panel. I have also checked the pump for obstructions. I'm all out of ideas. Any help is very much appreciated.
Model# LSQ8520JQ0
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you turn the gearcase shaft and see the inner tub start to turn? It takes about 16 rotations on that gearcase shaft before you will see the inner tub turn.

Try taking the motor off(take pump off too), and laying it on the floor, but connected to the electrical, then turn it on in drain/spin and see if the motor starts.

You will need to by-pass the lid switch first.

Here's the motor for your model:
Drive Motor 661600 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Whenever you change the motor, its best to replace the motor capacitor as well:
Start Capacitor 482156 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

If you purchase parts from our links here and you install them and it doesn't fix the problem, you have a 365 day full refund when you ship it back.

Jake

KM28

Premium Member
Just tried that and yes motor is opperational, gear case spins the drum just fine. The agitator still locked up though. I checked the assembly order of all the agitator parts (dogs & stuff) and appear correct. Must be something in the agitator I guess. The repair videos I have seen show a one piece agitator but mine is a two piece if that helps.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well if you turn the gearcase shaft the other way, do you see the agitator moving back and forth?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also Check your tub drive hub, it may be stripped.

Here's the tub drive block for your model:
Drive Block or Bell 389140 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

This video shows how to check and replace the drive block:

[video=youtube_share;w4O3n3r91B4]https://youtu.be/w4O3n3r91B4[/video]

You can see the comparison here:

See the one on the left, its the old one, the one on the right is the new one. It has to have those 2 ear slots. Does yours look like the one on the left or right?

Jake

bone3

Premium Member
My washer occasionally humms during the spin cycle and if you turn the agitator to the right (sometimes a couple of times) and close the lid it will begin to spin, im not sure if its the clutch or coupler that could be bad. it was an occassional problem that seems to be increasing in frequency and is more of a problem with larger loads. the unit is an estate TAWS700RQ3

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Jake

Bbarger2016

Estate Washing Machine model ETW4400XQ0

Hello Jake,

I have an estate washing machine that is having and issue engaging the motor when the agitation or spin cycles are on. When the agitiation or spin cycle is supposed to start you hear the washing machine engage the motor but it just hums and will continue to do so through the entire cycle if left alone. I have found though that when you open the lid during this portion of the cycle and then close it the motor will "catch" and no longer hum but actually engage and start running as it should. Any suggestions on what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated !! Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Have you checked the motor coupling?

Here's the motor coupling for your model you can order here if needed:
Motor Coupling 285753A

Here's the video to access/change it:

[video=youtube_share;9K1KHEogf3c]https://youtu.be/9K1KHEogf3c[/video]

Let us know.

Jake

stepper459

Premium Member
My washer occasionally humms during the spin cycle and if you turn the agitator to the right (sometimes a couple of times) and close the lid it will begin to spin, im not sure if its the clutch or coupler that could be bad. it was an occassional problem that seems to be increasing in frequency and is more of a problem with larger loads. the unit is an estate TAWS700RQ3
Hello, rather than starting a new thread on this topic it looks like people have been coming and going on this thread for a few years (!) now, so here goes.

I have a Whirlpool top-load washer, model # LSQ9560PW2, serial # CS0207120. It has similar symptoms to the post quoted above. The washer does not always spin out when it should (I don't actually know if it spins mid-cycle or not) but it seems to otherwise function as normal. It seems to spin less frequently lately and especially with larger loads, which leads me to believe it's mechanical.

Any thoughts? Is this a difficult repair? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and do most of my work on my own cars, but I've never touched a washing machine before.

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

stepper459

Premium Member
Thank you for your response. To be sure before ordering parts, I had someone come look at it today. It seems the transmission is leaking oil and ruined the clutch, so it needs a clutch and transmission. So... not worth doing since this washer has been in our house since we bought it in 2008. Certainly this machine doesn't owe us anything.

Any idea how many cubic feet this machine would have been? I don't want anything smaller, that's certain.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That one you have is a 4.3 cubic feet washer.

Yes, I agree with you getting a new washer, since the transmission is leaking oil.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

johnp3333

Premium Member
I have a similar problem with my Whirlpool Ultimate Care II. After filling, it hums but does not spin. I checked the pump and its clear. The coupler looks fine. I bypassed the lid switch and got the same problem. I pulled the motor out and if I spin it by hand it will start to spin. If i spin the gear for the drum by hand, the drum spins. This led me to replace the timer switch but I get the same hum/no spin problem. Thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What's the model number of your washer? The model number tag is inside the lid.

Did you test your motor capacitor yet?

Here's the basic Whirlpool motor capacitor:
Manufacturer's Number: WP8572720

Watch this video to ohm check your motor capacitor:

[video=youtube_share;kdFIARakavk]https://youtu.be/kdFIARakavk[/video]

Its located here in the video:

[video=youtube_share;Enl7GrLnxiQ]https://youtu.be/Enl7GrLnxiQ[/video]

Jake

johnp3333

Premium Member
Model # is LSQ9659LW0
I will check the capacitor but also should add that it is very difficult to rotate the drum clockwise by hand with everything connected. Counterclockwise is difficult at first but then I can spin easily. Dont know if that is supposed to be that way or means its a transmission/clutch issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
but also should add that it is very difficult to rotate the drum clockwise by hand with everything connected. Counterclockwise is difficult at first but then I can spin easily. Dont know if that is supposed to be that way or means its a transmission/clutch issue.
That's normal.

If it wasn't normal, the motor should still run when its out of the machine sitting on your floor.:)

So its either the motor capacitor or the motor itself that's bad.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.