Washing machine getting fried while draining

Bcj123

Premium Member
Model Number
No idea
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello everyone,

The reason for my post is my tenant (I own a duplex) has bought two washers in the past two days and both of them have had their electrical components fried when the washer begins the draining process.

Seems very strange because I figured any electrical issue would be prevented by the breaker tripping (<4 yr old electrical box).

Anyways, I don't have specifics on the washer because I didn't purchase it. I searched the internet for a decent bit and couldn't find any information on this happening to others.

I understand I haven't provided a lot of details here, but I'm just trying to understand what potentially could cause this. Any thoughts or experiences related to this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ben,

Is this the same problem as you were having here: WED9200SQ0 Dryer tripping breaker, new electrical panel, replaced heat element?

You never came back to tell us what fixed it.

The reason for my post is my tenant (I own a duplex) has bought two washers in the past two days and both of them have had their electrical components fried when the washer begins the draining process.

Seems very strange because I figured any electrical issue would be prevented by the breaker tripping (<4 yr old electrical box).
Sounds like you need to get the electrician back out to see what's going on, because it should of tripped the breaker before fried parts appear.:)

Jake

Bcj123

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

No this is a different unit. That post was related to the dryer in my unit. This is the washer in my tenants unit.

1) the solution to the previous post you ask about was the wiring in the breaker box was not done well. Pieces of the wiring were breaking apart at the connection so my electrician just rewired it.

2) I tested the outlet for this new issue and for some reason someone that owned this place before me wired a 220v to the outlet. When I tested it, it was showing 250 volts. So I guess that will fry it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup 250 volts to a 120 volt outlet would cause it.:)

Jake