Washing machines in 2022 reliable or junk??

ron3033

Premium Member
Hi all

What washing machines are most reliable today? My 21 year old Kenmore series 90 may be toast as I cannot assess if I need more then the transmission (drive block, clutch etc.... in addition to trans.) 350 worth of parts plus shipping for all 3 parts, here in Canada.

Looked at new units.... sure are tinny and pricey.

General electric any good? GE Adora 27-inch 4.9 (IEC) Cu. Ft. Top Load Washer with Stainless Steel Drum in White
Model # GTW495DMNWS

Whirlpool ?? Whirlpool 4.4 cu. ft. Top Load Washer with Soaking Cycles in White
Model # WTW4855HW

any suggestions if I cannot fix mine? as I have to determine the whole damage.
thanks ron3033

WyJeff

Premium Member
Do what you can to fix yours. Otherwise, I far as I could find, Speed Queen (sold under the Huebsch name in Canada) may be the only washer available today made anything like the 20 year old ones were, minus the mechanical controls, and seems to be consistently listed as the most reliable.

For a top loader I would recommend the TC5 Classic (I believe the model numbers and designations for the Speed Queen and Huebsch are the same). It comes with a 5-year warranty. The TR7 has more features and a 7-year warranty, but the redesigned TR series at least initially went over like New Coke causing them to bring back the Classic TC5 version. I went with the Classic version because it is generally considered to be better on heavy soil, it is the same basic version that has been used for years in commercial environments, and has no lid lock. It does have a lid switch which is easily bypassed if you like to watch the wash in action, assuming you don't have any kids, and you have enough sense not to jump in yourself during the spin cycle. But read the reviews and such to figure what's best for you.

The down side is the TC5 is now running around $1300 in the US, don't know what that translates to in Canadian. But I figured I rather spend 50% more to buy a washer that's likely to last 500% or so longer. But considering the costs and reliability of new washers it may well be worth spending 350 in the hope of getting 10 more years or so from yours.

I can't speak for the GE washer you listed, but I bought the Speed Queen to replace a Maytag washer that failed during warranty. Since the washer failed with light use in less than eight months, the nonexistent warranty service, and the inexcusably poor customer service which required over an hour on hold each time I called only to receive little to no help, I have no intention of ever buying a Whirlpool, Maytag, and whatever other brands Whirlpool now owns, ever again.

Good luck!

ron3033

Premium Member
Do what you can to fix yours. Otherwise, I far as I could find, Speed Queen (sold under the Huebsch name in Canada) may be the only washer available today made anything like the 20 year old ones were, minus the mechanical controls, and seems to be consistently listed as the most reliable.

For a top loader I would recommend the TC5 Classic (I believe the model numbers and designations for the Speed Queen and Huebsch are the same). It comes with a 5-year warranty. The TR7 has more features and a 7-year warranty, but the redesigned TR series at least initially went over like New Coke causing them to bring back the Classic TC5 version. I went with the Classic version because it is generally considered to be better on heavy soil, it is the same basic version that has been used for years in commercial environments, and has no lid lock. It does have a lid switch which is easily bypassed if you like to watch the wash in action, assuming you don't have any kids, and you have enough sense not to jump in yourself during the spin cycle. But read the reviews and such to figure what's best for you.

The down side is the TC5 is now running around $1300 in the US, don't know what that translates to in Canadian. But I figured I rather spend 50% more to buy a washer that's likely to last 500% or so longer. But considering the costs and reliability of new washers it may well be worth spending 350 in the hope of getting 10 more years or so from yours.

I can't speak for the GE washer you listed, but I bought the Speed Queen to replace a Maytag washer that failed during warranty. Since the washer failed with light use in less than eight months, the nonexistent warranty service, and the inexcusably poor customer service which required over an hour on hold each time I called only to receive little to no help, I have no intention of ever buying a Whirlpool, Maytag, and whatever other brands Whirlpool now owns, ever again.

Good luck!
Hi, Thanks for the info.
Intersting, I was reading last night Speed Queen was the best. Also interesting, we had to go to a coin laundry yesterday (lots of coins). The machine there may have been a Huebsch, as we commented on the unusual name.
Found this... " Huebsch is Canadian for "Speed Queen". They'd probably like to use the better-known SQ brand in Canada too, but Whirlpool owns the rights in that country making it off-limits to the manufacturer"
They are sold in fewer places in Canada, mostly large areas Going to look for interest. TR5 in Canadian $$ 1559 in major cities.

I am going to have another look at this machine to see if I can figure it out. We looked a new machines, light weight junk and sales people say maybe 10 years use. Boy what a good selling point! Yikes.

WyJeff

Premium Member
Keeps getting worse here. I've been keeping track of the prices on the website of the place I bought from, about 130 miles away, and I was surprised I found one that close as I live in a very rural area. When I bought my TC5 last July it was $1140. Last week it was $1299, now it's saying $1449. Their front loaders have gone way up to $2229. o_O

I think Alliance products (Speed Queen, Huebsch) are becoming more and more in demand as people get disgusted with the modern disposable junk washers. I guess all prices are increasing, but not generally at that rate, at least I hope not.

If you do get serious about getting one, you may try calling independent dealers and see if they can get one for you even if not listed on the Huebsh website. I found out after I got mine that there's a place just a little bit closer that says that they sell Speed Queen that is not listed on the Speed Queen website. It may not be listed because they're not a fully authorized service center or something. I'm sure I'm outside any service area anyway, just as I was with the Maytag that died within eight months, which led to me getting a full refund when the promised exchange product never showed up, that I used to get the Speed Queen hoping not to ever have that poor an experience with a washer again.

ron3033

Premium Member
Hi Jeff
Interesting point about pricing. I live in a border city to the USA. Mind you, our sister city in the USA is much smaller than the Canadian counterpart. I may internet search the appliance sellers there. The draw back, I have not been there in 2+ years because the pandemic. Also price point...often things are much cheaper here in Canadal Your priced TC5 for 1449 US $.... in Canada 1559 .... so purchased in USA adding exchange for currency, import duty if applicable, would make it much cheaper here (but you have to go get it or ship it). Also warranty could be issue.
None the less interesting.
I think I am going to try a transmission replacement on the Kenmore. 204 + 25 delivery. Matter of fact that part is cheaper in Canada than many USA based part suppliers.
Good info about Speed Queen, thanks for sending it to me.
Ron

Janar

Premium Member
I recently bought Whirlpool WSIO3O23PFEX is a device with amazing energy efficiency (Energy Class A++), outstanding capacity (up to 10 sets) and unsurpassed cleaning quality.
One of my favorite features is PowerClean, a turbo boost program that literally sucks grease out of dishes. Plus, it's one of the quietest machines on the market, even if it's not hidden behind a furniture door.
The list of main functions includes an intensive program for heavily soiled dishes and an express program (quick cycle). A nice addition will be a “delicate” program for washing fragile dishes, an economical program for lightly soiled dishes and a pre-soak mode.

WyJeff

Premium Member
I recently bought Whirlpool WSIO3O23PFEX is a device with amazing energy efficiency (Energy Class A++), outstanding capacity (up to 10 sets) and unsurpassed cleaning quality.
One of my favorite features is PowerClean, a turbo boost program that literally sucks grease out of dishes. Plus, it's one of the quietest machines on the market, even if it's not hidden behind a furniture door.
The list of main functions includes an intensive program for heavily soiled dishes and an express program (quick cycle). A nice addition will be a “delicate” program for washing fragile dishes, an economical program for lightly soiled dishes and a pre-soak mode.
I can't speak specifically as to your particular model, but when taking energy efficiency into account, I would include longevity and reliability. I mean just how much energy and other resources are being saved when landfills are full of five year old Whirlpool products, when the old "inefficient" models were made to last for decades? Or how much money are you saving when your "efficient" model needs continual expensive repairs?

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.