FIXED Water build up inside Kenmore refrigerator (model 253.68883010)

Francesca

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi there:
My 2011 Kenmore refrigerator (no ice maker) is leaking about 1 cup of water every 24 hours, under the air baffle in the fresh food section. It still cools fine, both in the freezer and fresh food sections. I've reached out to Sears tech support via chat and they told me I needed a new drain tube even though the water is dripping in the fresh food section. They sent that to me for over $40 and I don't understand how that could be the problem if the water is dripping ABOVE the fresh food section, under the air baffle.

So far, I have done the following:
- removed lower cardboard back panel on the outside of the fridge and cleaned it out.
- removed the back panel inside the freezer to check for ice buildup around the drainage tube. No ice found.
- set the temperature controls in the middle for both the top and bottom sections.

Not sure what to do next and don't want to pay a technician!
Thank you.

Francesca

Premium Member
Thanks, BigBuck! Going to try it now! And thanks for the reminder to unplug the fridge! :)
Update: Done and that was the problem! Ugh, the gunk in there was grody! So furious at the people at Sears who kept telling me it was the drip pan hose!
THANK YOU so much!

Last edited:

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Also if you have a turkey baster fill it up with hot water and squirt it in the hole like in the back of the video. Sometimes I like to fill it up afterward with like lemon juice as it helps kill fungus that maybe building up in that hole through the wall.Good luck!