FIXED Water build up inside refrigerator (model 106.70277990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdrew

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Not sure what is going on here but we have recently experienced a continuous build up of water in the refrigerator- on the top shelves, in the veggie/fruit drawers, and under the drawers. We have tried several simple things:

(1) cleaned the bottom with a vacuum and removed and cleaned the drip pan (it was relatively dusty but not horrid)

(2) cleared the fridge to allow better circulation (note that the refrigerator was not stuffed full to start with)

(3) adjusted the settings to make the freezer and refrigerator colder

(4) adjusted the settings to make the freezer and refrigerator warmer

NOTE: while I tried to allow the refrigerator to warm (#4) my wife readjusted it to cool (#3) thus not real sure of any problem solving here.

I have read about drain tubes being clogged yet I am not sure were to find one on this model which is about 6 years old.

Any help would be great. Please post here or e-mail directly at kenneth_drew@hotmail.com

Thanks!:D

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

On your model, the defrost drain hole/line is located inside of the freezer behind that back access panel, just remove that back panel, remove your freezer floor panel FIRST(Has 2 screws in front), that simply pulls out, then you will see the drain hole under the evaporator coil. It may be iced up, you will have to clear all of the ice and run hot water down the drain hole.

This link should help as well:
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_leaking.html

Jake

kdrew

Premium Member
THANKS! Looks like the ticket

Jake said:
On your model, its located behind the inside of the freezer behind that back access panel, just remove that back panel, and your freezer floor panel(Has 2 screws in front), that simply pulls out, then you will see it under the evaporator coil. It may be iced up, you will have to clear all of the ice and run hot water down the drain hole.

<b>Thanks Jake!<p>

Looks as if the entire bottom of the freezer was frozen solid. I unplugged the refrigerator and then allowed the thaw to start. To minimize the water going into the refrigerator, I plugged the holes with a paper towel. I had a microwavable heat pack that allowed me to avoid the massive amounts of water that looked as if would be needed. The ice sheets lifted up nicely after 10 minutes of so.
<p>
I carefully used a hairdryer on warm setting to clear near the drain hole. The drain hole was plugged well within it so I then resorted to hot water. Looks as it will be done in a little while (thus I type this now). If all goes well, I will not post again.
<p>
Question: if the drain hole is still clogged, is it wise to try to blow it out with a simple compressed air (set very low, obviously)?
<p>

Thanks!:3:

Last edited:

kdrew

Premium Member
Job complete-

No need for the compressor just patience. I actualy used a small piece of tubing to suck out the water in the drain hole and then added more hot water. This was repeated about 5 times to finally remove the ice blockage and allow free flow of water to the drain pan underneath the refrigerator.

Thanks again!:D

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job kdrew in getting that drain hole unclogged!:)

Thanks for the update.

Jake

mdterpfan88

Water Build-up in Kenmore refrigerator

Had the exact same problem. Had Sears out over this past weekend to look at the problem. They had to replace some piece that causes I think the hookup to the ice maker to thaw out. Seems as though the water to the ice maker had frozen up and this piece that causes the ice-maker to not freeze up had gone bad. Therefore the water to the ice-maker was dripping into the refrigerator. It was a $13.00 piece and would you believe that the labor costs were over $208.00? Total cost for less than an hours work was $221.00. Sounds quite high to me. Just FYI

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Sears has really raised their labor rates in the past year.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
In order to keep your ref. frost free it uses a heater on the evaporator coils.The water from this 'defrost' goes out a drain in back of your ref. and you never see it,unless the drain is blocked with something(usually a pea) then you see it on the top shelves of your ref.

crackatoa

Premium Member
I'm glad I found this forum

I have a Kenmore (top-mount) 106.74252400 (only 2.5 years old)
We've had leaking into the refrigerator compartment too. Ice at the bottom/back of freezer.
I thought we just blocked the air flow or something too (the only clue the use and care guide gave me for trouble-shooting).
It sounds like a clog in the drain line...We will try it this weekend.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hope you get it fixed.:)

Jake

gschultz

Freezer drain refreezes constantly

I am on my fourth cleanout/defrosting of the drain in the back of my [last] Sears/Kenmore fridge/freezer. I make sure it is clean by putting hot salt water down the drain until it flows freely. I also make sure all the ice is gone from the bottom of the freezer compartment. A month goes by and it is frozen shut again.

Any suggestions on keeping it open? Thanks.

Bradleyappliancetech#1

Premium Member
Moisture in the refrigerator usually means there is an airleak somewhere. Check your door seals. If you had a backup in the drain, you would probably find frozen water in the botton of the freezer.

iwanano2

Premium Member
To keep water in freezer drain from freezing again

I have the same problem in my Kenmore model 2990. The solution to keeping mine from freezing again was to wrap a wire (something like a thick solder wire) around the heating element line just above the drain and then insert the wire into the mouth of the drain. This should stop it from freezing again.

What makes me mad is that Sears has known about this problem for years and has done nothing about it except charge customers for a field service repair.

Michael

ghep17

reappearing water inside Fridge...

We have a Whirlpool model#ET1PHKXPQ01 (I think that's the number) we bought in 2005 and have had the freezing up problem in the drain flow. The first time we paid somone to clear it out and he said it was probably food and we were very strict about bagging up all foods in the freezer but the problem came back. We used the hot water method to successfully clear the drain tube but now about 3 weeks later the water inside the fridge is back and there is ice again in the freezer blocking the drain. My wife is very frustrated. This is the first brand new fridge I have bought and it seems like from what I have read on this and other forums this problem cannot be solved. Is there any way to stop this from coming back? I read this post on the wire but could not understand the process and reason.... Help!!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We have a Whirlpool model#ET1PHKXPQ01 (I think that's the number) we bought in 2005 and have had the freezing up problem in the drain flow. The first time we paid somone to clear it out and he said it was probably food and we were very strict about bagging up all foods in the freezer but the problem came back. We used the hot water method to successfully clear the drain tube but now about 3 weeks later the water inside the fridge is back and there is ice again in the freezer blocking the drain. My wife is very frustrated. This is the first brand new fridge I have bought and it seems like from what I have read on this and other forums this problem cannot be solved. Is there any way to stop this from coming back? I read this post on the wire but could not understand the process and reason.... Help!!!!
You might want to run something down the drain hole to make sure you don't have any obstructions.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake:
http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Jake

kdrew

Premium Member
Follow up September 2009- Still OK

No need for the compressor just patience. I actualy used a small piece of tubing to suck out the water in the drain hole and then added more hot water. This was repeated about 5 times to finally remove the ice blockage and allow free flow of water to the drain pan underneath the refrigerator.

Thanks again!:D
Just a follow up. I have had no issues since the fix. All seems to be working well. Perhaps I need to worry about it every 7 years or so since the fridge was 7 when we had the issue. We will see. Thanks for the great site to help owners who have some know how to stay informed and save a little cash!

:3:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Kdrew, glad to hear its still fixed.:)

Who's knows you may get lucky and last longer than 7 more years.:)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.