FIXED Water build up inside refrigerator (model 106.70277990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good.:)

Jake

fed up

Premium Member
Water build up inside fridge

I have an old (30 yrs?) green sears coldspot with the freezer door on top.
This fridge is great and keeps everything very cold. It also frost free.

I am having the same problem as the other guys with water building up under the veggie crispers..and the drain tray underneath the fridge is bone dry all the time. My wife has to clean out about a quart of water under the crispers every 2-3 weeks or so.

This problem started soon after I had an independant repairman replace the thermostat last year. Maybe he did something....or maybe it's just a coincidence, but none the less, I have to fix this problem soon.

My question is: Is this older fridge made the same as the newer ones, and can I just take the back off of it and locate the drain tube and clean it?

Any help would be appreciated very much. Thanks....

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have an old (30 yrs?) green sears coldspot with the freezer door on top.
This fridge is great and keeps everything very cold. It also frost free.

I am having the same problem as the other guys with water building up under the veggie crispers..and the drain tray underneath the fridge is bone dry all the time. My wife has to clean out about a quart of water under the crispers every 2-3 weeks or so.

This problem started soon after I had an independant repairman replace the thermostat last year. Maybe he did something....or maybe it's just a coincidence, but none the less, I have to fix this problem soon.

My question is: Is this older fridge made the same as the newer ones, and can I just take the back off of it and locate the drain tube and clean it?

Any help would be appreciated very much. Thanks....
We would need the model# of the refrigerator to tell you where the defrost drain is located.

The model# tag on your model should be located at the very bottom frame in front, below your refrigerator door, you may need to remove the kickplate to see it fully.

Jake

fed up

Premium Member
Jake....Thanks for helping me.
The plate says- model # 106 7627240

There is a 1/2" space between the 106 and the 7627240

I hope this helps...

Fed up

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

It looks like on this model the drain hose goes in the very back of your refrigerator down to your drain pan, so You'll need to pull your refrigerator out from the wall, and remove that hose and blow through it.

If no clog in that hose, then you will have to remove the back panel from inside your freezer and check your drain hole, its directly underneath your evaporator coil.

I use a hair dryer and hot water to clear out all the ice and gunk through that drain hole.

Jake

fed up

Premium Member

That's what I'll do then.

Thanks for your knowledge and help....Wife thanks you too!

fed up..

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Jake

fed up

Premium Member

Hi Jake,

I was able to clear that line that drains down into the
evaporator tray...thanks to you telling me how to do it.

The problem was the drain hole under the evaporator
coils was clogged. With your suggestion of a hair drier
and some hot water, I was able to clear away all the ice
to access the drain hole. I guess years of gunk plugged it.

It worked great for a while and was draining fine into the
tray under the fridge. The problem is that it wants to
freeze up at that 3/8" drain hole which then prevents it
from draining again.

I turned the thermostat down to 1 and the air flow dial
down to 1 also. The air flow dial controls the freezer temp.
as you know. They were both set on 3 before. They only
go as high as 5. Even at the #1 setting the fridge is cold.

Is this a common problem? (the drain hole freezing over).

Is there supposed to be a fitting or screen over that hole,
or is it supposed to be open like it is? This is an older
fridge we bought used many years ago and it's been a
great fridge...except for this recent problem. The fridge is
very quiet and only runs about 20 mins and then shuts off
for about 20 mins. The frost free element works great and
we have no frost build-up at all....just that little tray in
the back with the drain hole keeps wanting to freeze up.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.:confused:

Fed up Gary.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Gary,

No I wouldn't say its a common problem. No, no screen should go over that drain hole.

If its clogging again, do the same thing you first did and if you have an air compressor, blow it down through that drain hole to get more gunk out, and then run a little bleach down it.:)

Jake

fed up

Premium Member
Jake,

Turning down the thermostat seemed to do the trick. I guess that fridge likes to run really cold. Thanks again for all your help.

fed up

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

kdrew

Premium Member
FIXED again 5 years later (with pictures now)

UPDATE Feb. 2011:

Same problem reoccurred with water in the vegetable and fruit drawers as well as the bottom of the fridge. This time, I knew what to do. After I unscrewed the bottom panel of the freezer by removing the two screws with a nut driver, I saw a heavy sheet of ice on the bottom of the freezer.

Same technique as before:
(1) hair dryer or heat gun (being careful not to heat the Styrofoam near the vents to the fridge)

(2) loosen the ice sheets and pull out carefully not to damage the freezer.

(3) carefully heated the aluminum drain plate in the back that leads to the drain hole which was frozen solid with ice.

(4) used boiling water and a baster to deliver hot, hot water to the drain plug

(5) used some tubing to remove the water with suction

(6) repeated with hot, hot water until the drain opened up and the tray at the bottom right of the fridge was collecting water

(7) use this opportunity to vacuum the junk under the fridge and clean the tray underneath the fridge which collects the water and allows it to evaporate under normal conditions.

Thus we made it 5 years between "fixes". Not bad.

Here's a few pictures of what it looked like when done. The number 4 is written on the freezer and there it was frozen solid with ice. The drain hole is visible as well in one of the pictures. Sorry as I forgot to take a picture to what it looked like before the defrosting.

Good luck!

Thanks Jake!

Looks as if the entire bottom of the freezer was frozen solid. I unplugged the refrigerator and then allowed the thaw to start. To minimize the water going into the refrigerator, I plugged the holes with a paper towel. I had a microwavable heat pack that allowed me to avoid the massive amounts of water that looked as if would be needed. The ice sheets lifted up nicely after 10 minutes of so.

I carefully used a hairdryer on warm setting to clear near the drain hole. The drain hole was plugged well within it so I then resorted to hot water. Looks as it will be done in a little while (thus I type this now). If all goes well, I will not post again.

Question: if the drain hole is still clogged, is it wise to try to blow it out with a simple compressed air (set very low, obviously)?

Thanks!:3:

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks kdrew for the update and added information.:)

Jake

MIKEINMN

Premium Member
Thanks to kdrew's pics it helped me understand where the drain hole was. I hope I have ours resolved.

Typically how far down the drain hole does it freeze? I may need to go back in and redo this part.

Maybe because my model# 106.72104100 mfg date 04/02 in our freezer where the drain hole is there is an aluminum piece that sticks in the hole. almost like a wick for lack of a better term. Does this piece actually help or hinder the process?

kdrew

Premium Member
Thanks to kdrew's pics it helped me understand where the drain hole was. I hope I have ours resolved.

Typically how far down the drain hole does it freeze? I may need to go back in and redo this part.

Maybe because my model# 72104100 mfg date 04/02 in our freezer where the drain hole is there is an aluminum piece that sticks in the hole. almost like a wick for lack of a better term. Does this piece actually help or hinder the process?

I would guess about 2 inches or so. Once the freeze starts, it grows.

Raineygirl

Premium Member
I have had this exact same problem now and have had the repair guy out 3 different times! Of course, this has been over a period of about 2.5 yrs. Why does this keep happening? Each time, I've paid him around $100. to me, it feels like he's just putting a bandage on the problem. I don't want to keep putting out $100 a year as I could probably save money by just buying a new fridge. He said that the drain hole had clogged up and he tried putting a copper wire in the drain to help it from freezing up. Not sure he knows what he's doing') But, this is really becoming a nuisance to me! Any ideas? Would love to hear your input on this. My fridge is about 8 yrs old. Kenmore with freezer on top.

wjm

Premium Member
I'm having the same problem on my Kenmore Elite Side-by-side. Have cleared out the drain 4 times and a few weeks later everything freezes up. Drain does not seem to be clogged with anything other than ice.

Any ideas? Is there a reason it keeps

Raineygirl

Premium Member
A friend in this field told me that it sounds like something is wrong with the defrost cycle thermostat. my tech told me that I had sensors and not a thermostat. I dunno...it's so frustrating to me. This is my 3rd time having this fixed and the tech said this is pretty common. I don't have the answer other than I'm not buying a Kenmore anymore:)

fstdrvr2

Premium Member
unclogging defrost drain

I run into this all the time and have come up with an easy solution.
1st heat up some water (about a cup and a half) to steaming but not boiling temp.
2nd chip all ice away and suck up any water with a turkey baster.
3rd suck hot water into the turkey baster and pump it into the drain hole. Continue sucking and pumping back into until water gets cold, suck it back out and repeat step 3 with new hot water. It won't take much and the drain will unclog if ice is the problem.
4th pour the rest of the water down the drain to flush it. The defrost pan can hold at least a cup of water.

On many of these top freezer units built by Whirlpool you can add a drain heat probe kit (Whirlpool p/n 819043). Just use the probe and the S/S screw, discard the rest of the kit. So far, it's been working for me.:)

Oh, make sure you don't have the unit in defrost mode while using a plastic turkey baster! The heater WILL melt the baster! (Learned this the hard way.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.