FIXED Water build up inside refrigerator (model 106.70277990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KathyP

Premium Member
Kenmore top freezer dripping water in the refrigerator

So I know that the drain plug may be clogged with ice I have unclogged this unit 4 times and this will be the fifth. Is there a real fix to this problem or do we all just live with the problem. Thank you,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I posted this earlier in this thread:

You might want to run something down the drain hole to make sure you don't have any obstructions.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake: http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

If that doesnt resolve it read this:

Some of the Whirlpool, Roper, and Kenmore made by Whirlpool had a problem with foam insulation (as they were coming being made off the production line and being transported to the stores), getting into the defrost drain under the evaporator I would get a big Phillips screwdriver and rammed it down the drain hole(I use a hammer as well) and that fixed it, worked every time!:3:

Sounds extreme, but I was mad at having to come back out 3 or 4 times for this issue, and it worked.:)

Then pour hot water down the drain hole see if it starts flowing down the drain hole fast.

Jake

KathyP

Premium Member
Thanks Jake I will try that, one more question that is really stupid what size screw driver do I use to get the freezer pan out, it has two screws? Thanks for your help

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What do the screw heads look like? Phillips? Hex? Torx?

Jake

wjm

Premium Member
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Freezer over-freezing / ice on bottom of freezer is resolved. The problem was a bad freezer thermistor.

I believe that the frost problem also damaged my diffuser, as fridge won't go below 40degF. I tested it in service mode and it won't fully open. Replacing it and the fridge thermistor should do the trick.

Thanks all!!

wjm

Premium Member
Just curious as to how you were able to determine that is was a bad thermistor-Thanks
On normal setting (prior to thermistor change), freezer would go below -20F. After thermister change, it leveled off to around 0.

wjm

Premium Member
I tried testing... but I'm not 100% sure what readings I'm looking for. Still have the old ones.

I figured it was only a $10 part... so replacing it was a no brainer.

wjm

Premium Member
BTW... I replaced my diffuser.... and for a goof, decided to take apart the old one to see what was wrong with it.

Indeed it was broken. And with a bit of patience, these things can actually be fixed.

I was able to crazy glue back a piece of plastic which cracked and put things back together. It is a square area around where the motor rotates which makes the vein go back and forth.

I'm going to see if I can take some pictures and post.

ferrarj

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

My mom has continually had this problem with a Kenmore we gave to her. I have used a hairdryer and removed frozen sheets of ice from under the tray 4-5 times, but it continues to leak into the refrigerator. She is very frustrated and wants to but a new refrigerator. Do you think I am just not clearing the clogged drain totally each time? How would I know if it is completely unclogged? Also, we transported the refrigerator on its back and we were told to let it stand in its upright position for several hours before plugging using it so the freon would re-circulate. We did that, but could that be a reason why it isn't draining? My mom wants to run out and buy a new refrigerator, which she can't afford, but I think there is a easier, simpler solution. Your expertise would be greatly appreciated.

wjm

Premium Member
I'm not Jake, but let me at least share what I learned.

I would first get a thermometer and check the temperature of the freezer. With mine, it got way too cold (-20 to -30defF) and the drain would freeze. When the defrost went on, everything would melt, except for the ice that built up in the drain, so the defrost melt ended up leaking into the bottom of the freezer, then freezing up.

If the freezer is too cold, then you have to find out why. With mine, the freezer thermistor went bad, so it was not reporting correct temperature to the control board.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
What's your model number? The blocked drain line issue has been around for as long as there have been frost free refrigerators. To this day I don't believe there is a simple answer and can be one of the most frustrating problems for even an experienced service tech. The blocked drain is usually an easy fix on refrigerators between 1-5 years old. It's the older refrigerators that are usually the problem. Some I've been able to fix with something as simple as a drain line heater or a good cleaning and others no matter what I do, I get called back in 30 or 60 days with the same problem. I think what's happening, and I've had other techs agree with me, is that after a while little tiny things start to accumulate in the refrigerator. Dust, pieces of plastic, a kernel of corn, a pea, just about anything you can imagine, spilled water even a loose ice cube. Add a fan motor to the equation along with opening and closing the door and everything seems to gravitate toward the drain hole. By far the worst culprit is the Styrofoam insulation. Once the drain gets blocked and the water has no place to go it inevitably end up on the Styrofoam in there, freezing, thawing, refreezing until the moisture get into the Styrofoam and starts causing it to deteriorate and break apart in very small pieces and once that starts it's almost hopless. I've torn them apart and cleaned and taped and even tried to glue it. Nothing works 100% of the time and I usualy end up extending the time between cleaning out the drain again. Sometimes it works or maybe I just think it does and the customer ends up buying another refrigerator out of frustration. Just my opinion.

ferrarj

Premium Member
The model is 10672102101, Kenmore Cold Spot.

I have gone through some old threads on this problem and looked at pictures. You can't see the drain tube on the back of the refrigerator. Will I have to remove the panel that is covering up the back? I'm a little nervous to do that. After reading, I'm wondering if I have not fully unclogged the drain. If I have, there should be some water in the bottom, right side tray correct? I have used a hairdryer until I see water going down, but not a turkey baster with hot, hot water. Thank you so very much for your help and ALL of the information I have read.

rickgburton

Staff member
Just unplug the refrigerator first then remove the back wall so you can get to the drain. I would use very hot water and then give it a chance to dry a little before you plug it in. If you don't get it cleared and you really like doing this then you're in luck 'cause you'll get another chance in about 30 days if you follow my drift. It's worth it to get it cleaned out and you might not have to do it again.

Similiar problem, different model

I have recently discovered a similar problem with water collecting in my fridge as well. My model number is 106.8607781. Is the fix the same?

Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
Yes, remove the back wall and you'll see the drain hole directly below the evaporator. If it's covered with ice, then that is the problem.

bfree

Hello, I'm having this same problem with my Kenmore model 106.54219300 Elite side by side, ice in bottom of freezer comp, the drain froze up and residual water on floor below refrig. The controls are at recommended settings (0 freezer and 37 refrig). The diagnostic routine shows the thermistor in the ref comp and freezer comp failing the test. I placed a thermometer in the freezer comp which reads -19*F I can only find one thermistor in the parts diagrams that came with refrig, it appears to be in the top left side in the refrig comp behind the air diffuser assy in between the two compartments. Does this thermistor read both compartments or is there another thermistor in the freezer comp I'm too blind to see on the diagrams?

Thanks in advance!
Billy

rickgburton

Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.