FIXED Water build up inside refrigerator (model 106.70277990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaeng

Premium Member
Many thanks for that supurb info on a common headache. I know that I will not be the only one to benefit from it. In addition Rick, I really appreciate those tips about your drain tube " hot wire " corrective action/fix. I believe your hot wire specs are fresh info for this thread and will help all of us zero-in on a more permanent solution for this issue.

If I can snap a picture that provides any kind of helpful visuals on that secondary drain tube, I'll post asap.

billybgame

Premium Member
Well, I'm back here, after about 8 months of the good life with no water in my refrigerator.....the good life is over:(

I'm about to repeat this process and I'm not happy about it. There has to got to be a way to fix this. If this has been a problem with fridges for a long time, how come this is the first time I've ever seen it, and I'm 48? I thought it was just that my model is a badly engineered fridge.

That troubles me that the copper wire down the drain isn't really a good fix. I was definitely going to try do that this time.

Last edited:

billybgame

Premium Member
Well, I'm back here, after about 8 months of the good life with no water in my refrigerator.....the good life is over:(

I'm about to repeat this process and I'm not happy about it. There has to got to be a way to fix this. If this has been a problem with fridges for a long time, how come this is the first time I've ever seen it, and I'm 48? I thought it was just that my model is a badly engineered fridge.

That troubles me that the copper wire down the drain isn't really a good fix. I was definitely going to try do that this time.
Can't seem to edit my post.....took everything out of the freezer, this time. Going to put me a piece of #12 copper 1 to 2 inches down the drain and see. Someone prior had a very, very, thin piece of some sort of silver wire.....not sure the gauge, but extremely thin. And, it had to be way more than 2 inches down the drain. Doubt that was helping....could it have been hurting?

Anyhow, got the drain cleared enough to start draining somewhat. But, like last time, it's just dripping. Is that how it should be? I think I got it a little faster last year. I've squirted piping water probably 15 times, and all it does is drip. I wonder where all the water is going? The drain pan is looking pretty full, so maybe the dripping is doing the job. Hope someone can reply, as I want to get this back together very soon.

Hope I can recall how to put it all back together!:( Screws are easy, but icemakers, etc...........

Edit: I think it's draining fast, and I just can't get back there before it's mostly gone.....I can now hear it hitting the plastic pan.....maybe the dripping is just the remainder? I've got my copper ready, and I'm going to give that a go and put it back together.....or at least try.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Blocked drain lines has been a refrigerator enigma for a long time. It’s as common now as it was thirty years ago. Ninety percent of all blocked drain lines can be fixed by cleaning the drain tube out. The other ten percent is a different story. Anything that can stop or slow the flow of water from going down the drain hole will eventually cause a blocked drain tube. A very small amount of water left in the drain pan is all that it takes to start the process. Any amount of water that freezes in the drain pan will build on itself until the drain hole is frozen over. Once the drain hole is frozen over it takes about a week on a side by side, or several weeks on a top mount, before it becomes noticeable. Every time the refrigerator goes into a defrost cycle, the water from the frost on the evaporator coils builds a new layer of ice. Once the drain trough is full, the water will go to the next lower spot. On a side by side that’s usually the freezer floor. On a top mount it’s under the freezer floor. It continues to build until you notice it. On a side by side that’s when it leaks out the door onto the floor. On a top mount it’s when water starts dripping into the fresh food section. Wrapping a piece of wire around the defrost heater and into the drain hole comes with its own set of issues. It only works on the calrod style heaters and does not work on glass tube heaters. If it’s the wrong material or too long or too big a diameter it won’t work. I’ve had the best success with a piece of 1/32” aluminum wire that goes into the drain about 1.5”. Other than gold or silver any other material will eventually corrode and you’re back to square one.

billybgame

Premium Member
I've already got it back together and everything back inside, and plugged in....but read somewhere about the leveling of the fridge can also affect draining......was that true or just true in some, or in all? Mine is actually leaning forward a tad, according to my level. I'm sure I can adjust it, if need be....

Edit: Also, I read in numerous places to use #12 wire....or #14...but the thicker the better. Sure hope that those weren't all wrong.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
It used to come coiled on the back of Maytag washers as a ground wire/strap and I've collected a lot over the years and never had to buy any.

rickgburton

Staff member

bojanglespa

Kenmore Model 46-66812
Serial Number 106KR00115

Noticed ice in freezer bottom the other day, thought son spilled water in there so I just cleaned it up. 2 days later it was back. Removed back of freezer Compartment and used blowdryer to melt a bunch of ice until drain was visual. Then used the hot water and baster to melt all of the ice. Removed back bottom of fridge to access drain pan and the plastic hose was nearly plugged so I cleaned that.

Then I went on the internet and searched and found this forum. Should have done that first although I did the same steps mentioned. What I am wondering is if the part (Whirlpool p/n 819043) would work in my freezer or should I just wait to see if it happens again.

rickgburton

Staff member
You probably won't need it. 90% of the time defrosting and cleaning with very hot water will fix it.

showhost

Premium Member
Hi Rick...

I posted a couple months ago that I had done the whole hot water flush and clean-out procedure and my Kenmore Model #106.70867990 was working well again and the ice build-up and water in the frig seemed to be resolved (at least for the short term). Sadly, the problem came back and last week my wife and I repeated the whole process and it's okay again... for now. If you'll note, on the previous page of I was the one inquiring about where to get the solid core aluminum wire you recommended if the problem recurred.

I took the opportunity to snap some pics of the inside of the freezer while we had it disassembled, so that you might advise as to whether the wrapping of the wire around the defrost heater will work on my unit. You mentioned something about it having to be a "Calrod style heater" for this to work. Can you tell from the pics here if my freezer fits that description? What component would the wire wrap around in my case? There appears to be a very dark brown/black tube that runs around the perimeter of the innards here and seems to pass directly over the drain plug. Is that the heating rod?
Back of frig (resized).jpgleft half (resized).jpgLower right quadrant (resized).jpgupper left quadrant (resized).jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
Yes that's the defrost heater. I was just out on a service call for the same model, same problem. It had one of those style heaters installed and it was frozen solid in the ice. However after looking at the kit, I don't think it was installed correctly. I just took it out and left it out. Here's the pics I took for my customer:
image1.jpgimage2.jpg

showhost

Premium Member
Hi Rick...

Thanks for your reply and posting the pics above. I'm a bit confused -- you said you just worked on a frig that had the kit installed (I assume you mean the little metal strip shown in the pics) and found that it was installed incorrectly so you just took it out. In reviewing the two pics in your post, I'm unclear as to which pic shows the "incorrect installation" that you discovered. I'm guessing it's pic #2, as the strip doesn't even extend into the drain hole and it's not attached to the black rod as shown in pic #1.

If so, what is pic #1 -- it's obviously a different arrangement but I thought you said you removed it completely? Which picture if any shows the correct hook-up? Is the black rod/pipe running along the bottom just above the drain hole the correct hardware to mount the kit (aluminum wire) to? As mentioned in my earlier post, I was planning on using a solid single piece of aluminum wire -- will that work wrapped around the black rod. I assume that rod heats up???

Thanks again,

Larry

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, don't read too much into that. Those pics were taken for a property owner I do some work for. The first picture is the heater installed to the defrost heater and extends into the drain hole. It's hard to tell from the the picture but that aluminum heater is frozen in solid ice. It's not tight around the heater and there was no insert in the drain. You wanted to know if it would work for your machine. If it's installed correctly, maybe. I don't know. If it's installed incorrectly it definitely won't work.

showhost

Premium Member
Rick, thanks again for responding. Okay, at the risk of driving you nuts, I'm still not getting something.

The small strip of aluminum that's wrapped around the black rod -- are you referring to that piece of aluminum as a "heater"?? Isn't it just a strip of aluminum (getting heat from the black rod it's wrapped around)? And does this "black rod" I'm referring to heat up? Is this a "calrod" that you referred to in your earlier posting quoted below.

I'm drawing my inference that this is an effective way to keep ice from freezing in the drain hole from this same posting so I'm puzzled by your reticence in your last reply that this is workable way to address this freezing issue.

"Wrapping a piece of wire around the defrost heater and into the drain hole comes with its own set of issues. It only works on the calrod style heaters and does not work on glass tube heaters. If it’s the wrong material or too long or too big a diameter it won’t work. I’ve had the best success with a piece of 1/32” aluminum wire that goes into the drain about 1.5”. Other than gold or silver any other material will eventually corrode and you’re back to square one."

rickgburton

Staff member

JLC

Premium Member
Hi there, I'm experiencing the same problems and I think I've figured it out. I hope this helps someone.

I unplugged the fridge and let it defrost for a few hours and I pulled it all appart and I found the drain hole plugged with ice. I was going to go with the option to wrap a wire around the black heating element and stick it down in the drain, but first I wanted to investigate the drain alittle more. The drain is only about 3 inches long and it goes to teh evaporation pan underneath. On the bottom of my drain was a small rubber part with a slit in the bottom that was totally gummed up and clearly not letting the water out.

I think this explains why people still have the problem with the drain heater installed. If that thing is gummed up then no water can get out period.

I suggest checking that rubber fitting on your drain is clean. It is actually way easier to check then pulling the inside of the machine appart.

nozzel.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.