• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Water dispenser tastes like mold / dust - Kitchen Aid KSRB25FRBX00

TheHolyCannoli

Premium Member
Model Number
KSRB25FRBX00
Brand
KitchenAid
The refrigerator sat for about 6-8months prior to moving into the home. It was plugged in during that time with power, but the water was not circulated as nobody lived in the house. I replaced the filter and it made no difference. I disconnected the hoses from the filter housing to look for clogs or mold, but I found nothing. I pulled the dispenser hose up through the door and completely out of the fridge to inspect it for any growth, I saw nothing and smelled nothing. I disconnected the hose leading from the water source behind the fridge and poured myself a glass of water from that hose...it tasted perfectly fine, just as if I had used the kitchen faucet. So, the good news is that the water in my source plumbing is fine.

I tried flushing the system with vinegar. I removed the filter and pumped vinegar through the main feed hose and kept going until I saw it filling the hoses beyond the *valve assembly*? (I'm making up terms here, but I'm talking about the part that splits the filtered water to the water dispenser and up to the ice maker.) I let the vinegar sit for about 2 hours then flushed with regular water.

After doing that, the water actually tasted normal. Fast forward about 2 hours and the mold/dusty taste has returned. I flush about another gallon from the dispenser and taste things again...tastes normal. An hour later, the mold taste is back. :confused::confused::confused:

What should be my next step?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You have a coil water Reservoir that cools the water in your refrigerator section, Its located behind your crisper's. I'd check that next.

Here's the coil water Reservoir for your model you can order if needed:
Whirlpool 2256126 Water Reservoir - AppliancePartsPros.com

Watch this video to access/replace it:

[video=youtube;kt46ws7gKzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt46ws7gKzQ[/video]

Jake