• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Water & Ice Whac-a-mole... A KitchenAid Refrigerator KSSC42QTS02 mystery

CuriousBob

Premium Member
Model Number
KSSC42QTS02
Brand
KitchenAid
Our 12 yr old KitchenAid fridge works great except for the water and ice dispenser.

1. The water dispenser quit a year ago, but the ice maker kept working. I ignored this as I don't use the water dispenser much.
2. Then the ice flap got loose and warm air made interesting frost designs on the freezer shelves. I replaced the motor (WPW10546285) and the flap (WP2180353) and the problem resolved
3. Right after the motor/flap replacement, the ice maker stopped filling. It still rotates and harvests, but just does not fill.

Things I tried:
a. Replaced the water filter. No effect.
b. Tested the optical sensor. When the door is opened and the optical switch is pressed, I get a solid Red light which I think means "Working"

Please tell me there is a reset button or cheat code and I don't have to pull this thing out of the cabinet to get at the water valve.

Help, Ideas, or Jokes appreciated,
Bob in Houston

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Bob,

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#13 is your water inlet tube where the water comes into your ice maker, I'd first check that to make sure you don't ice clog in that tube. That definity would prevent water from entering your ice maker.

You will likely need to remove the ice maker to get good access to it.

Jake

CuriousBob

Premium Member
I removed the ice maker as suggested and ran a probe up the tube. No ice, but no water either.

Is the next step to extract the unit to get at the water solenoid valve and check that?

Appreciate your time,
Bob

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bob,

Then yes, I'd check the water inlet valve next. I wasn't able to locate the tech data sheet for your model that shows you how to test it. But all refrigerators come with a tech. data sheet. Check underneath the right side top hinge cover or all the way up on the top of the refrigerator where you compressor and condenser coil and condenser fan are located.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
WPW10159842 Valve-Inlt

Jake