Water leaked cos of improper fitting

nikkhasnis

Premium Member
So I bought this new Kenmore Elite fridge from Sears in March. Last week I noticed water leaking in my basement. Many panels have large water spots and a couple fell due to water. Called in a plumber to get it checked.

Seems when the fridge was installed, the water line was not properly attached, so there was water accumulating behind the fridge. And since I have hardwood in the kitchen, the water went below the hardwood and spread. The plumber fixed the water line and the water leakage in the basement's stopped, but the kitchen hardwood is damaged to some extent.

Not sure what to do about it. Sears tech is supposed to come down on Monday to look at the fridge.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did Sears install it and hook-up the water line to it? If so, then you will need to file a claim with the Sears installation department. The phone# should be on your delivery receipt.

Jake

SearsCares

Banned
nikkhasnis,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
I'm very sorry to hear that your floors were damaged by the water leaking. My name is Brian H. with Sears Cares and I would like to help. I would like to get you in touch with one of our personal case managers who can assist you with filing a claim if necessary. At your convenience please contact our office via email at smsupport@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the refrigerator was originally purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we’ll call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (nikkhasnis) so we can reference your case. Again, I apologize for any trouble we have caused but we do appreciate any opportunity to help.
<o:p> </o:p>
Thank you,
Brian H.
Social Media Moderator
Sears <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName>Social Media Support</st1:personName>

nikkhasnis

Premium Member
Hello Brian,

Thanks. I will send you an email (from nikkhasnis@yahoo.com) with the details.

Incidentally, a tech engineer from Sears came in today morning (for another issue) and he confirmed the damage to the floor. he said he would mention it in his report.

nikkhasnis

Premium Member
Latest status

Sears Media got me to file a claim with the delivery company. The delivery company sent people home to look at the damage, took pictures and asked me to send in 2 estimates to get the floor repaired. After I sent the estimates, now the delivery company is asking me if the fridge was delivered in Feb, why did I file the claim in May. They do not seem to understand it took some time for the fridge water line to crack and water to seep through my floor and the damage to show up on my basement ceiling.

Also, getting the water line replaced by my plumber seems to void my 5 year extended warranty for my fridge. I do not think this is right as the warranty cover the fridge, not the water line.

The Sears rep has been helpful, but the delivery company is dragging their feet. Now they are saying that since there was a 3 month delay in filing the claim and the water line was replaced by a non-Sears tech, they have to check with their manager, who is conveniently on vacation.

My problem with this is that why am I dealing with the delivery company. As far as I am concerned, the fridge was delivered by Sears. Who they use is not my problem. I should be dealing with Sears and they with the delivery company. BTW, the delivery company is Graham Woods Group, based out of 790 Fletcher Drive, Suite 104, Elgin, IL 60123.

Based on the initial very positive response from Sears, I though this claim would be easy. But here I am 3 months down the line, still at square 1.

Nikhil

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Best thing to do when they keep lolly-gagging is file a complaint with your State Attorney Generals office and you will see them get this done quickly to your full satisfaction.

Here's the New Jersey office:
NJ Office of Consumer Protection

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Jake

nikkhasnis

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

What do I do? Give NJ Office of Consumer Protection a call at (973) 504-6200?

I spoke with Sears media support and she was supposed to followup with the delivery company's insurance agent, but 2 days have passed and nada. I am planing to call (973) 504-6200.

Nikhil

SearsCares

Banned
Sears Cares

nikkhasnis,

This is Brian H. again with Sears Cares. I saw your post and I wanted to make sure your case manager Naomi was aware of your concern in regards to the delay of our response. I will forward the message to her so she can better assist you.

Thank you,

Brian H.
Social Media Moderator
Sears Social Media Support

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Since Brian is trying to help you, lets see if they can resolve this here first through your case manager Naomi.

Jake

nikkhasnis

Premium Member
I have been in touch with Naomi for couple of months now. She filed a claim with the delivery company. Now, since 2 weeks, the delivery company is doing a new review of the case as according to them I should not have waited 3 months (from the time of delivery) to file the claim. I should have had the premonition that there was going to be a leak and filed the claim as soon as the fridge was delivered. And since they do not work regular hours (9-5), whenever I call they are not in office.

nikkhasnis

Premium Member
I am planning to do it this week. I have given Sears and the delivery enough time and now they refuse to pick or return my calls and emails.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, do it now, don't hesitate.:)

Jake