• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Water leaking from frame of water/ice dispenser

davidjbj

Premium Member
imported post

Hi, I have an early model GE Artica, about 4 years old. It is developing a drop from the front bazel surrounding the water/ice dispenser. The water seems to be coming from the lower 2 holes where the bazel attaches to the door. Though various means I have confirmed it is not just water spilled and getting behind the bazel. I have tried to access the works to look for leaks in the hose, but can't seem to see how the inner door panel comes off. I remove the seal, but the inner fiberglass/plastic wall seems glued directly to the insulation, removing it looks like it will permanently damage the insulation.

What could be causing this drip? Will removing the inner panel be something irreversable? What will I need to gain access to the dispenser for repairs?

Thanks

Dave

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

**What will I need to gain access to the dispenser for repairs?**

No model# posted.

http://www.applianceaid.com/gethroughdoor.htmlOne of these may be close to yours, esp the lower one on the page.

**I have tried to access the works to look for leaks in the hose, but can't seem to see how the inner door panel comes off**

Some do not come off.

jeff.

davidjbj

Premium Member
imported post

So, if they don't come off, what does one do to repair leaks such at this? Install a complete new door?

Thanks

Dave

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

**So, if they don't come off, what does one do to repair leaks such at this?**

Find out where the leak is first....cracked water line ( replaceable ), bad heater ( replaceable ), air leak maybe from flapper door ( replaceable ).

jeff.

davidjbj

Premium Member
imported post

Not flapper, checked that.

?heater? Is there a heater on the water line?

If it's a hose, that is internal to the door. I have removed the control panel and mechanism and the water spout is molded into the backplate of the dispenser, no "accessible" connection. The water line enters the bottom of the door and connects somewhere behind the panel. This panel is not removable/accessible without access from inside the door.

The model is PSS25SGMC BS.

I am temped to remove the inner skin and simply reattach it with canned "insulating foam" and/or liquid nails, but the risk is ruining the panel in removing it. I have found a source (thanks to this forum) for new ones, but they are over $200 and not sure what material is needed to reapply it to the door once repairs are made.

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

**?heater? Is there a heater on the water line?**

There is a heater on the dispensor body for moisture....rare to fail but possible.

**If it's a hose, that is internal to the door**

Normally runs in a channell, dispensor guts are removed to access one end and is pulled out of the door channell to replace.

**The model is PSS25SGMC BS**

Doesn't show the door comming apart :(

:shock:Door foam assembly PSS25SGMCBS $250.00

Ouch!!

jeff.

davidjbj

Premium Member
imported post

Can't remove the dispenser, it is mounted from behind, looks like only option is to pull liner out (tearing the insulation, making replacement without new, questionable.

I had thought about it being condensation, could be heater, but same problem, no access to anything beyond shell, only things accessible is keypad, flap, and flap accuator....

What a piss-poor design for a DARN expensive fridge!

Thanks

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

**What a piss-poor design for a DARN expensive fridge!**

Ask most Techs what they think of GE.....you'll likely get your same observation :(

Something here may help....Acrobat reader required to view.

jeff.

davidjbj

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks, I saw that link the other day, probably from this site.

Well, thanks for all the pointers, looks like I have to decide just how much I want to spend on this vs. not having quick access to water.

Dave