Water Pooling Under the Freezer Drawer in Samsung RF4287HARS French Door Fridge

annekreel

Premium Member
Model Number
RF4287HARS
Brand
Samsung
I have ice building up in the bottom of the freezer compartment on my Samsung RF4287HARS French Door Refrigerator, below the pull out drawer. It will build up to about 3/4"-1" thick and then impedes the closing of the door. Every 4-6 weeks, I need to remove the freezer drawer, melt and chop the ice and put everything back in. I have been doing this for three years on a 5 year old fridge. Samsung Customer Service is ABSOLUTELY NO HELP.

What causes this? And can I fix it myself?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

RF4287HARS
Missing some digits.
RF4287HARS/XAA-0000 RF4287HARS/XAA-0001 RF4287HARS/XAA-0002 RF4287HARS/XAA-0003

Hi,

Remove freezer back wall ( #12 ) and clean out the drain beginning under the evaporator ( #1 ) all the way to ( #40 ) the drain hose at the back bottom.

50043864-00001.jpg 50043864-00003.jpg

If needed:

Cap-DA97-04049J--01817720.jpg Drain Cap

jeff.

annekreel

Premium Member
I should add that*we replaced the ice maker about 3 months ago. While the old ice maker was broken, the ice did not form in the bottom of the freezer. As soon as we replaced it, the ice started forming again.

jeff1

Staff member
the ice started forming again
?Again?
So if you turn off the water or ice maker the ice stops forming?...that would have been good info to know.

jeff.

annekreel

Premium Member
Answer about ice maker

While the ice maker was not working, the water line was turned on but obviously wasn't producing ice. I cleared the ice from the bottom of the freezer and it did not start forming again for 2 months, right after we put in a new ice maker.

jeff1

Staff member
it did not start forming again for 2 months, right after we put in a new ice maker.
Either a coincidence or the ice maker is leaking into the freezer. Have to watch the ice maker go through a cycle to see what happens or doesn't happen. Try pressing the test button on the ice maker and have a flash light ready to view.

jeff.

swhisman56

Samsung RF4287HARS/XAA...Ice collecting under freezer door and now ice maker isn't making ice.

I have this exact problem. I noticed the freezer drawer was getting "sticky" and seemed to worsen for about 2 weeks. I began to notice the ice buildup beneath the drawer but I didn't notice any problem with ice maker, it may have been producing less ice, hard to know. But last night suddenly there was no ice and I knew that it had to be related.

When I checked the freezer door there was lots of ice buildup and now water on the floor. I knew at that point I need to turn off the water supply. There was little to no water on the floor under the fridge when I pulled it away from the wall. Of course when I attempted to turn off the water at the wall, it was very stuck and when we put pliers and force on the spigot, something stripped and caused a pretty significant drip, about a gallon of water/hour all night. Got the copper line capped today.

Now what? Please advise. The line will be repaired by a plumber tomorrow.