• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Water stop flowing in my 6 year old Kenmore 106.51133210 side by side

sk12311@comcast

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi hope someone can help. My fridge has stopped dispensing water and therefore making ice. When I press the switch to dispense water I can hear the motor run but no water comes out. I can also occassionally hear the ice maker try to fill with water. Since this started I replaced the water filter but wondering what I else I can do to try and fix this issue. Thanks for any help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
To find where you're losing the water, you'll need to break down the water system. I'll post a water schematic for your machine. Your machine uses two water valves, the primary water valve and an isolation valve. Make sure the water supply to the machine is turned on. The main water supply line connects to the isolation valve (1) behind the machine. When the ice maker or dispenser is calling for water the isolation valve is energized and opens. Water flows from the isolation valve up through the water filter (2) and out to the water reservoir (3) in the refrigerator compartment. It then flows out of the reservoir to the "IN" side of the primary water valve (4). First disconnect the water line from the isolation valve (1) (not the supply line) Hold the isolation valve over a bucket and press the dispenser lever If water comes out the isolation valve is good. Reconnect the water line and disconnect the water line from the "IN" side of the primary water valve (4) and hold the water line over the bucket. Press the dispenser lever. This will check the water filter and housing and water reservoir. If no water comes out of the water line suspect a blockage in the filter or reservoir. Most likely ice in the filter or the reservoir is frozen. We probably won't need to go any further.
R-Water schematic Whirlpool-Maytag.jpg

sk12311@comcast

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. This is very helpful. I was thinking of defrosting the entire unit to see if I might have ice in the system somewhere. However if it is an ice block, what is to prevent it from happening again?